Posts by kmstreepey

No one, and I mean no one, does a perfect, professional cake right away. Those people that make it look so easy have been practicing for years. I don't think it's a matter of talent at all, but a matter of practice. A quote I read once (not sure who said it or wrote it) says, "winners lose more than losers, they just keep trying." (or something like that) So, just keep trying!! You can do it! But feel free to take breaks to re-group if you need to. Just because you...
I think torting just takes practice. Here's what I do (for round cakes anyway): Place the cake on a turntable. I have a very long, sharp bread knife that I hold with the blade on the cake where I want to cut. I hold it in my hand with one finger entended along the back to hold it steady. I then lock my elbow against my body to keep my hand, and the knife, from moving. With my other hand, I slowly turn the turntable and score the cake with the knife all the way...
I found that one out the hard way! Unfortunately, more than once....
Sometimes Bundt recipes need the extra support of the pan portion that is in the middle in order to set properly. It's hard to tell if yours is this way without looking at the recipe, but you could bake it with a flower nail in the center just in case. Or bake a batch ahead of time to make sure it will work in a regular pan.
I've found that if you over-beat your cream cheese, it will break down, get a little liquidy/very soft and will be very difficult to firm up again, even when adding a ton of powdered sugar and refrigerating. So, I'm careful to beat the cream cheese slowly and stop when it's smooth. HTH!
Thanks for all of this information! I've been wanting to try a beet-based red velvet but haven't yet. One question - does this recipe produce a red cake? Or is it more brown in color after it has baked?
Sorry I missed that earlier, Maria! I think that must be it.
I had the little bumps and have never used the carton egg whites. They only appeared once (the picture I posted earlier in the thread) and haven't happened since. Now that I am reading these later posts, I think it might be the butter. I think that on that batch of SMBC, my butter was a little colder than I normally have it. I usually soften it overnight. Could that be it? Once the buttercream is mixed, I would think that the butter would be fully emulsified or else I...
I would try almond milk or non-dairy creamer. My personal preference would be almond milk, but I'm not sure how it would effect the flavor of the cake. A little almond flavor in a white cake would be really good. Does your recipe call for whole milk? If so, then when subbing make sure you also account for the fat in the whole milk, which may not be present in your substitute. Non-dairy creamer (like for coffee) may also work. Watch the sugar and fat content in that,...
I have done both - created my own recipes and tweaked existing recipes. Both are a lot of fun, but I must say creating your own without starting from another recipe is more work. I've sat down and done the math on each of those recipes. I really love the experience of that, though, and having to think through the balance of ingredients. I have a couple of those that I've then taken and adapted to other recipes and new flavors. For example, once you get a white cake...