Posts by heartsnsync

You are welcome! I was stumped myself and did not want to eat into my profits either so this is what I came up with.  I use this method on all two tiered cakes or cakes taller than what will fit in a standard cake box.
I do not know where you are from but if you decide to start getting paid, even if it is only reimbursement for costs, you will need to find out what your local laws entail.  Many states have cottage food laws and have requirements that have to be fulfilled.  Then, there are quite often additional requirements or limitation from your local county and city.  There are resourced here on CC that list states and give websites to get information for the cottage food laws that...
I had to make a wedding cake yesterday that had a 4" wide 5" tall top tier. It was a bit more difficult to ice as there was not a lot of substance to the cake versus the maneuvering of putting the butter cream on. It took a bit of finessing and some time in the refrigerator to get it right. If you were going to make the hat taller the 5" like I did but have it only 4" wide you would need to make sure to use sturdy cake, not a lot of filling, and use a board half way...
I get them, too and do as BakingIrene suggested and mark them as "spam".
Some cake recipes can be doubled without any problems. Others need to have adjustments. In Rose Levy Beranbaum's book, "The Cake Bible" she explains this in detail and even how to tailor recipes so that they cook properly in different size pans. HTH
In regards to DepoPac kits, if you call their customer service they will tell you that if you order a DecoPac licensed character cake kit, you are only authorized to decorate the cake exactly as shown in the picture that comes with the kit. I looked into that some time back when I was deciding what I would and would not do when I opened my business.
When using gum paste I don't use corn starch or powdered sugar except very rarely and if I do very minimally. I mainly roll out gum paste on a non-stick silicone mat that has a very light coat of shortening on it.
I keep little bits of leftover fondant to use on small projects so they sometimes end up being around for a month or two. I found that anything with pink or purple in it will fade on the outside or change color a bit on the part exposed to light just like they will when placed on a cake. Other colors like black, red, bright yellow and orange, green, etc. all get darker. Matter of fact, try my best to color my dark fondants ahead of time on purpose so that they have...
I quite often will go online and look at the cutters sold to make whatever flower I need. If I don't have the correct cutters I create a template and then use it as a guide to hand cut the pieces. Works for me. That is how I made these "heart's desire" orchids.
I made some by rolling out hay colored fondant really thin and then cutting it ito tiny strips and letting it dry over night. I then went back and used RKT, added some colored royal icing and stuck the pieces on. It also worked well to scatter around the cake. I have attached a picture of the cake I did with this on it. HTH