Posts by heartsnsync

I wanted my cupcakes to also be more substantial but did not want to bake the true "jumbo" cupcakes because then that involved buying different equipment and more costly cupcake cases for delivery. What I found that works for me is to use cupcake liners that are 1 3/4" tall and 2 1/4" wide at the base. The standard cupcake liners are usually 1 1/4" tall and 2" wide at the base. My cupcake tins hold the 2" very easily but also seem to accommodate the 2 1/4" liners just...
I have a licensed, permitted and inspected home home bakery in NC and was told you could not have any pets inside the home...not even a fish! I believe I remember them saying that if you had pets in your home then you would have to get permitting through zoning and build a separate kitchen apart from your home that pets are never allowed into. For many people that is not a realistic option due to cost.The other alternative is to share a commercial kitchen. There are...
I have this software, too and it was very easy to use. It is really helping me keep organized so I think it is well worth the investment.
I use gum paste, fondant, and modeling chocolate. As some others have said what seems to work best for creating figures or using molds seems to be a 50/50 mix between fondant and modeling chocolate. You have the extended work time that comes from using modeling chocolate but less of the greasiness when you handle it. Now, for realistic flowers and leaves, gum paste is a must.
I have used the pudding, pineapple and whipped cream filling before, too and it is great. I tried adding pineapple to Rich's Bettercreme recently and it did not do quite as well. Not quite sure why.
Candy clay is also called "modeling chocolate" and is made by gently melting candy wafers or chocolate (dark, milk, or white) and adding corn syrup to it. The ratio is usually 1 lb. wafers/chocolate to 1/3 c. corn syrup. When the wafers/chocolate is melted you stir in the corn syrup until thick and smooth. Transfer to a wax paper lined pan and smooth out. Let sit @ 8 hrs. to over night. At first it will look really greasy but do not wipe up this excess oil on top. It...
It works best if there is just a light layer of icing underneath the fondant. If you put very much on then the fondant will not lay properly or will wrinkle or bulge. The undercoat of icing needs to be smooth as well as making sure there are no bulges from any fillings before placing the fondant on. Otherwise, every bump and bulge will show. HTH
I use the tappits. I just roll my fondant out really thin and let it dry over night. Then I go back and cut and the fondant "taps" right out.
If you cut your squares ahead of time you would need to make sure they are 100% "square" or they will not fit together nicely later when they are dry. Do you have "the mat"? If so, perhaps you could cut the squares and place them under that so that they would not dry out. Just an idea.
I had some MMF in the refrigerator for 4 months one time and it still tasted good but was a bit grainy. I was told by some lovely people on here that if you add some glucose to the MMF when it is grainy and kneed it in that it soon smooths right back out again. It worked like a charm!