Posts by reginaherrin

I would go light grey.  JR's hat was usually that color but with grey at the hat you will add a bit more color to your cake.
First, have you not come up with a price structure already?  If not then that is the first thing you need to do.  You have to add up all the cost involved in making the cake and then figure out how long it will take and decide what you want to be paid hourly.  This would be the bases for your price but you also have to do some research in your area to see what other bakeries are charging so that you aren't undercutting them. You also have to make sure you are legal in...
Why in the world does she just want 3 tiers to feed that amount of people?  That seems very odd.  Are the other cakes going to be displayed or kept in the back so no one will see them?  If they will be displayed, those sizes will look very odd,  just scattered around the 3 tiered cake.    People don't really know what "a simple cake" looks like. Whenever I hear "simple" I know it will turn out to be some a lot more difficult and complex then they think.
Okay I see what you mean. I don't personally like doing 8" toppers because to me the cake can look a bit off and stubby but I have made a ton of cakes with that size. I'm not saying they aren't beautiful but I would rather do a smaller size. We can definitely have different opinions it just seemed by your wording that you where taking offense but glad to hear otherwise.
That's great that all your cakes are beautiful. Not really sure why you mentioned that since I did not ask anything relevant to that and certainly did not put your cakes down or anything. I'm really not sure why you are taking offense at my post. My first response was prefaced with me saying if it was me and it was my opinion. Then you asked me what I would do if I was asked this so I told you want I would do. If someone wanted to order a 3 tiered cake from me, I of...
If I had a customer ask this then, as the professional that knows what can an cannot be achieved, I would tell them it was not possible to feed that amount of people with only 3 tiers.  The biggest 3 tiered cake I would do is an 8",12" and 16" which feeds 180 but this size would need a topper or something to go on top since 8" top tiers don't really look all that great. 
For me, I would do either a 5 tiered cake or 6 tiered cake to feed that amount of people. I would either do 6",8",10",12" and 14" which will feed 208 and then do a kitchen cake or either a grooms cake to make up the difference or a 6",8",10",12",14" and 16" which will feed 308.  I know you don't have anything bigger then a 14" but do you have any cake stores around you that you can rent one?
Mine usually does this when it is dried out a bit.  I would pop it in the microwave for a few seconds and knead it again.
I definitely get not wanting to rock the boat but it sure doesn't make sense to me.  You already have 2 stoves which they say is fine but won't let you have 2 refrigerators?  Even though there is nothing in the rules against it? And to me, having to put a grease trap in sounds more of a "commercial kitchen".  My parents have had 2 refrigerators in their house since I was a teenager and they certainly don't have any home based business and I actually know a lot of people...
I also think it is the heat as well, combined with a bit stiffer icing.  Also, I did a bit of quick research about CFLs in your state and I did not find anything not allowing additional refrigerators.  It does say you cannot have commercial equipment but nothing about having 2 regular refrigerators.  I operate under a CFL and have a separate refrigerator that I store my cakes in not because they need it but because it makes it so much safer and easier to deliver. Sorry...