Posts by SweetTzippy

A client told me recently that the "new trend" is cakes that are gluten free, low fat, low sugar and vegan even better.  According to her if I anyone intends to continue in the cake business that's the way to go.
 That sounds good, ellavanilla! However... before I bill her I would like to see how the 'other' home baker interpreted ale122809's fabulous design and how she achieved it for only $100...You would not want anyone to think that the lower priced (and probably much inferior cake) was YOUR idea
Totally agree!!!
"That" person?  Unfortunately it is not only ONE person.  I hear that often... People see something done in a short video, many times by a highly skilled and experienced professional using all the specific -and expensive!- tools needed and are left with the impression that it is really very easy to do.  Not to mention that many times the video was already edited for sake of time with many long hours of in between steps shortened giving another false impression that it can...
How interesting that so called "friends" feel they are allowed to treat us this way! In my short experience as a home baker/cake designer I have found out that strangers or people that come to me by "word of mouth" tend to be more considerate than those "friends/acquaintances". On the other hand, ale122809, did you not have an "inner" voice screaming "TROUBLE" while taking that order from the beginning or even the 1st time she contacted you to lower the price of the cake? ...
 Yes Emma, I do think so.  I believe most people do not respect us the same as they do other formal businesses. When they go to a store front bakery for example and place an order, giving a deposit, it is very unlikely that they will call back and say "my budget changed and I now want to spend less on a cake so change the design to accommodate the price I want to pay" as in ale122809's story.  How can we educate our clients to treat us with respect and consideration?  I...
Yes, I agree.Not only do I agree but I have had the experience of having a client order a cake that requires a certain (expert) technique but don't want to pay the price because "oh, I saw it done on you tube and it looks so easy!".Everything looks easy when an experienced professional makes a demonstration using all the suitable tools. The time needed to become proficient comes with a cost as do all the specific tools needed.Most cake decorating videos and tutorials out...
"Some assembly required"   First time I read it...  this has got to be the best line... ever!  LOL
 Been there...  interesting how some people become your best friend when they need a cake to later totally ignore you. I also have those on another list....
I have a "No cake for you" list and a "Don't work with this party planner ever again" list.   Some don't get the message though, as they keep calling/emailing even when I am ALWAYS busy and booked when "they" need a cake.