Posts by Rachel5370

Another thing, I noticed that you often pick your cakes apart in your descriptions when you post them. It seriously makes my heart hurt for you when I read it. Please, please appreciate your own ability and talent and show some gratitude for God, the universe, good genetics or whatever source you feel you get it from! You have nothing to explain or apologize for. Just because you believe you have a talent doesn't mean you are arrogant, so go ahead and believe it girl! Ok,...
Umm, get a grip lady! Your cakes cakes look just about perfect to me. I would have not noticed any flaws if you didn't point them out. Seriously- very clean work, nice lines, good color combinations and your photography is fine too. You got a lot of faves too, not everyone gets those on most of their cakes like you did. I am striving for that clean perfect look that you seem to have accomplished. I feel my cakes are creative- but far from perfect. You should be proud to...
OP- Are you really 12? You sounded very grown up in your post. That is awesome that you have taken such an interest in a hobby- I am sure you have a great future ahead of you.
Pastry bags are sooo expensive at craft stores. Get them at a restaurant supply place. They are also better quality. I can get an 18" bag for $2.50 at my restaurant supply place vs $12 at MIchaels or Hobby Lobby. I also don't think you need 30. A variety of sizes is good. What you need depends on whether or not you do alot of piped decorations.
My friend was thrilled with it! I did try to go with a more "friendly" looking Green Man, I wanted to capture positivity and make a cake that makes people smile, rather than being creepy, ya know?
Thankyou evryone for the kind comments. It was fun to do.
Hi, OP here. For those of you that were interested in seeing the finished product that is the topic of this post- it's the most recent one in my gallery. It was down-scaled from the original request. I went with a Green Man in fall colors. I think it's pretty and had fun doing it. I'm not sure I know how to attach it, but I will try!http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1850103.html
Linda- yes they do! The best I have seen, and they taste good! ~Rachel
For years as a pastry chef, I tried and tried to find the perfect cut out cookie recipe. I wanted one that tasted great, and could be rolled thick. I wanted it to keep a sharp edge rather than "sloping" and kept it's shape- even when using detailed cutters. At the time, I modified the recipe in "The Joy of Cooking" and it was great. I almost always added either cinnamon or lemon oil. Now that I am opening my own bakery business, I can't remember what modifications I made...
You can reduce the butter by a little and you can also increase the sugar (in SMBC, I haven't tried it with IMBC). I increase the sugar by 25% and it helps helps with the buttery taste. If you are adding flavorings that have sugar in them though, don't increase the sugar. Whipping it alot until it is fluffy, shiny and just about white helps too. I added white chocolate once and thought it was way too rich and sweet- but that might work if the sugar was reduced. I often use...