Posts by Julie_S

Hi,I bought the 5 pound box of Wilton REady to use rolled fondant white and never opened it. That was in 2010. Do you think it is safe to use?http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=3E31A74B-475A-BAC0-5CCFCE5C69A32CC4&killnav=1Thanks,Julie
Hi All,In "Cupcakes: from the Cupcake Doctor", Ann Byrne's recipes call for an 18.25 ounce cake mix. All the Betty Crocker mixes in my store are 15.25 ounces. What gives? Do you think a 15.25 ounce mix would work?Has anybody tried this?I'm assuming the other brands such as Duncan Hynes and Pillsbury are around 15.25 as well, but I could be wrong.Thanks!Julie
I'm in research mode. I'm reading up on this and have that people will put some of the following in their batters (not all of them in one batter, of course):sour creamgreek Yogurtbuttermilkmayonnaisemiracle Whipground almondspotato starchWhat is your fave?I'm trying to make the most moistest cupcakes anyone's every tasted.If it means putting in anchovies I'll do it!Thanks!!!!!!!
Hi All,I just bought an ice cream scooper but have not used it yet. It's been a while since I made any cupcakes.I got a size 12 (the number means that that is how many scoops it would take to fill a quart, I believe). Anyway, I went by the advice of the Cupcake Doctor where she says in her book that if you want a good size cupcake, to fill the pan about 3/4 of the way full which is around 1/3 of a cup of batter.The number 12 scoop does hold exactly 1/3 cup or 2.66 fluid...
Hi All,The size cupcake I'm trying to bake is bigger than a traditional home-baked cupcake, but not as big as a jumbo muffin. I'm looking to bake a good-sized cupcake - like the size you would see in a bakery, but not so humungous that it looks like a giant muffin.Also, what brand of cupcake pan do you like? Calphalon, Wilton?Thanks for any suggestions.
I'm going to take a gumpaste class and since Wilton courses are my only option right now, this is where I'm headed. I know that many here do not prefer some of the Wilton products, but if you had to choose for the purposes of taking a course, which Wilton gumpaste product would you go with? If neither products are a good idea because they might frustrate me by not being able to produce good results, then tell me so. The Wilton gumpaste that is ready to...
KKC,Can you take on an apprentice? It could be a high school student who is genuinely interested in cake decorating or baking. Apprenticeships work well for homeschooled or unschooled students because they have time to explore what they are really interested in as opposed to sitting in school all day. You could place an ad looking for one. Or it could be an adult who wants to learn. They learn in exchange for helping you. Or it could be a paid internship type of thing. ...
I would imagine that the icing would get grainy from the salt. Have you done this before?
It's not a sanitary issue in my case right now because as I said, I'm in practice mode and when I practice, I'm using cake dummies and boards and I'm not even producing any cakes - I'm not baking at all right now. Plus there's nobody else in my house (I live by myself) who would possibly eat any of the icing I'm experimenting with. But I do see your point if you're producing food that others will eat. Thanks!
That was very wise on your part. Most managers would say "YOU are forbidden to eat the icing!" which would make the employees want to eat it all the more.Julie