Posts by cakelover613

I have two big cakes I been working on for a couple kids whose brother is ill. One of them is a spiderman bust and it went perfectly together no issues. Until it was complete. I moved on to the second cake and when I looked at spiderman, his face had come apart. I had used edible writers to draw where I would pipe the web lines (I didn't trust my shaky hands without a guide.) The fondant separated only in places where Ihad written with edible writer then piped over with...
I'm not sure if it has to be, truly I'm not sure how Wilton would know what I use, since they don't actually attend our events and I'm not sure why they should care as long as it's white. It's my first time doing something like this for classes. The plaster of paris is a good idea. It's not like anyone is eating it lol!
Should work out. I have all the way up to 16 inch round and square pans, I bake all this way. Never had any problems!
I tried the core method once, and found I hated it. Have also used bake even strips and I don't mind them but they're a hassle to put on the pans. Much easier to pop it in at a lower temp. Slow and steady wins the race :-D
A woman who used to be a cake decorator once told me that turning my temp down by 25 degrees will help keep my cake baking evenly. This is how I always bake now, most cakes I bake at 300-325 depending what the original recipe says. Takes a lot longer to bake, but I haven't had it fail me yet.
I have never done a cake dummy before. I recently started teaching classes for Wilton, and I am doing an open house this weekend in which they have a specific cake dummy they want us to create as an example. We are supposed to have it frosted and ready to demonstrate decorating during the open house. The open house is Saturday, and I was planning to frost the dummy tonight with RI, however I'm a bit intimidated after reading some people say it's difficult because of how...
I realize it has been quite a while since I posted about this cake, things have been busy around here and I haven't had a chance to get on. I wanted to update you all on what I ended up going with. I did a design on paper, in the design I avoided angels as suggested, and then sent my niece the picture so she could approve it. Simple, with a lot of beautiful flowers, and a number 1 on top. Upon seeing it, she told me she would like it to have an angel on the cake. So here...
Thank you all for the honest suggestions. I will avoid anything angels, and skip the bright cheery stuff. What a beautiful cake FromScratch. It does say a lot. I also love the cake you made Relznik. It's beautiful. I think I will go with something simple like that. Kblickster I did follow the link to the blog you suggested, and my goodness... It does though give a little insight into what my niece may be thinking and feeling. It must hurt so much.. I do agree she is...
Thank you for your condolences. It's just one of those things you don't think will ever happen in your family I guess. But it has made us all realize life is far too short, and we have made a point to get together more often and be there for each other more often. It's sad it took this to make that happen, but seems that is the way it goes sometimes.. Mothers should not have to bury their babies.
I have asked her. She keeps saying "I don't really know" and "What sounds good to you?" What sounds good to me is making a girlie cake, one with bright colors and happy things. But having seen her get angered over things that seemed harmless(not saying she was wrong, but as someone who has not lost a child this is why this cake is making me concerned about what I should do, I can't possibly understand her position and how she is feeling, and what's appropriate in this...