Posts by MariaK38

Yes, definitely check with your county's health office, since regulations can vary from county to county.Hope it works out for you!
Liability insurance is also important, just in case someone makes a claim of illness, etc. after eating your cupcakes. It's fairly inexpensive. I've never had a claim against me and don't anticipate one, but I still carry insurance just in case... helps me sleep at night!
Holy cow, you're an expert!Thank you so much for the great info.!
Hi! Making some cupcakes next week for a mustache themed birthday party. The client wants cupcakes with a layer of buttercream and then buttercream mustaches on top of that.First of all, they want some of them colored sandy blonde. Any ideas on how to get this color?Second, I'm not sure how to pipe mustaches with buttercream. I know they won't stand up like a topper or a royal icing mustache, but I'd like for them to stand out somehow and not just blend in to the icing...
I use lilaloa's recipes for vanilla and chocolate sugar cookies. They're on her blog, just google lilaloa. The chocolate ones taste like brownies! They don't spread at all... I cut them pretty close together and slid the parchment I rolled them on right on to the cookie sheet and baked. I was so surprised that they looked the same as they did when I put them in, except baked!
Hi! To avoid this, I've recently started waiting a day after baking to decorate. I put the cool cookies in a container with a lid with parchment between the layers. It seems to keep the cookies soft but soaks up some of the oil before decorating. Good luck!
I ended up letting the flood icing sit for longer (over an hour) and ran a toothpick through after flooding and they turned out much better. Thanks again, everyone!
Oh, okay! I get it now, kakeladi! thanks!Blueskies4444, I will try that as well!One more question... what speed do you all mix your royal at? I use the paddle on medium/medium-high on my KitchenAid for about 7 minutes or until it's stiff. Is that too fast maybe, and it's adding extra bubbles?Goodness, I'm questioning everything right now!
thanks everybody! I let my icing rest for about an hour before using. Kakeladi, do you mean to mix it with a wisk instead of the stand mixer when I first start to make the icing, or after I let the icing rest to get the bubbles that rise to the top out?I love Sugarbelle's blog... I've been there off and on watching and reading, too!
Hi all! I've had this problem for over a year and can't find a solution. It seems like every time I flood cookies with royal, they get what looks like teeny tiny bubbles that show up as it dries. I use Sugarbelle's 20 sec icing recipe and it goes on great, any bubbles I see I pop with a toothpick and smooth over. I've also used other recipes and thinner flood coats with the same "bubbles." I use a squeeze bottle (sometimes a bag) mostly to apply the flood coat. I...