Posts by MsGF

Not sure why it went crystally. Haven't had that happen. But when you store leftover RI it gets a marshmallow spongy type texture, that is normal. Just stir it up gently with a spoon or whatever, you don't want to incorporate air into the mix.Hopefully someone else knows about the crystallization of the RI. I haven't had that and I use the Wilton Brand Meringue Powder and their recipe. I also use pasteurized egg whites with out issue.
I've had my butter frozen for months in my basement chest freezer. Never had any trouble with it. It is expensive here so when it goes on sale I really stock up. So they can sit in the freezer for months before I get to them. I have never had an issue with frozen butter. I thaw it in the fridge over night then bring it to room temperature usually. But in a pinch I have taken out frozen butter and left it on the counter to thaw all night. It was perfect. No problem....
Great save! Gorgeous cake too! And best of all, a lesson learned without a major disaster. Beautiful Job!
I agree with the other posters. it is not your responsibility to chase after people. You gave her your requirements and she hasn't met them. Let it go. See if she contacts you. I would not contact her again. I totally agree with jgifford, not your problem. I don't know why we all get so stressed about this stuff, think about how a big company treats you, they don't chase you for cheques or dates, they tell you their requirements and expectations and if you don't...
I'm sorry this happened to you. I think you should check the bakers pretty website and see if she posted a picture of this cake. If not then maybe she knows it isn't great. Also if the cake you received is drastically different in decorating quality than the ones she has posted on her site, you know they are not her cakes. She has stolen the photos from other more talented decorators. I hate that! I only post what I have done, not someone else who is more talented...
I highly doubt the butter is the cause of the browning or spilling over. I use salted and unsalted in my baking with no problem. Maybe it spilled over because the pan wasn't deep enough or large enough. I had that happen once, the spilling over, and it was because my oven wasn't heating evenly. Haven't had that happen again since purchasing a new oven.Check your oven by purchasing an oven thermometer, they are cheap, also use a deeper or larger pan next time. Maybe...
I think making fondant sucks. Sorry just my own opinion based on personal experience. LOL I buy ready made fondant and gum paste. I use Satin Ice. It is always predictable, easy to work with and the taste isn't too bad. Making and decorating a cake is enough work and takes enough time without adding in fondant making too. I have made MMF but didn't feel it was worth the effort. Anyway that is only my opinion. Lot's of people like and even enjoy making fondant,...
Check out this one:http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2289302/clam-cakeIt looks like 2 round cakes, with the sides carved and covered in fondant. I don't know how to do it, but maybe someone else does. Or PM the poster.It is a start anyway. HTHHappy Baking & Good Luck!
Very nice job. You did really well. I like them. I too just tried decorating cookies with royal icing for the first time. I see so many beautifully decorated cookies on this site I had to try. I made Shamrock Cookies and tried to keep them simple, but I have a new found respect for all the cookie decorators on here. It took forever, at least it felt like forever. I was pleased with the outcome. Not sure if I'd sell them or not. I want to charge $6 a cookie for all...
Wow; very inappropriate Ilikepie. We should strive to be kind ALWAYS! Even when it is hard. Shame on you.Anyhow I feel your prices are a little low, and when you have your CakeBoss Software filled up the prices will change. But I believe your quote was more than reasonable and fair for the amount of product and work involved.Don't feel bad when people pass you over for another baker or Wal-Mart. People get what they pay for.Good Luck & Happy Baking