Posts by MimiFix

She tried to bargain you down, @Claire138. That's happening a lot these days. Amateur cakers will say okay and are overjoyed that they got a sale. Unfortunately, this process has only succeeded in degrading the entire cake industry.  
Very interesting, @leah_s! It does look like PVC pipe. I googled and found a few blogs that talked about using PVC, as in the image below. My only question: Is it food safe? Especially since the pipes are cut and the contents exposed.      
Homeowners' insurance does not cover commercial liability. Ask your agent where to find a good policy, or look here Food Liability Insurance Program.
I nominate @costumeczar the Queen of CC, for giving us an answer to the siren call of custom cake: "No...No, I can't."
Your investigating everything is admirable! But I'm not clear on the distinction between a "home-based vendor arrangement" and a "home-based business." Whatever the differences are, you would still need to declare that income, file taxes, and as @pastrypet mentioned, get insurance. Best of luck.  
 If you want to set up a legal business, I strongly suggest you read this to understand the disclaimers (which can be a bit confusing). And then speak with an inspector from your county health department. Good luck!
 The newest stat I've seen: It's estimated that 90% of food businesses fail within the first three years.
 Isn't that the truth! (And what a genteel way of saying employees can be the worst offenders of product contamination.)   
Hi Miranda, welcome to CakeCentral. I don't use cake mixes, but I do use Ener-G, an egg replacer. It works well so you might want to try it.   And you probably don't know since you are new here, but we only ask a question once, in whichever forum we think is most appropriate. Most members scan all forums to view questions. I use this link when I log on.
Russian Cake is a classic bakery product sold throughout the US. It's formulated to use unsold excess cakes, pastries, and sweetbreads. To increase revenue, a bakery uses their own "recipe" that relies heavily on a changing variety of day-olds. Most bakeries press the mixture into sheet pans and sell Russian Cake by the slice. Your Cake Pops sound like a fun, interesintg variation!