Posts by gbbaker

I use 1 pound of chocolate and 2 tbl butter and 1 cup of heavy cream with 2 tbls of corn syrup with the heavy cream. I bring the cream to boil and pour over finely chopped chocolate and cover bowl with plastic wrap for a few minutes , then whisk till smooth. I usually put the ganache in fridge and whisk periodically till it the thickness I want. If it gets too thick you can microwave at 1/2 power for 20 second intervals. Did you use semisweet chocolate(milk and white...
I think it's part of the business. You never know where business will come from, You can't ever make judgments about what people will or will not do. I don't think it makes you look desperate.
I think contacting people is part of the business. I have had brides talk to me and not give a deposit only to call the week before the wedding assume I was doing their cake. I always call everyone I talk to after 2 weeks. It's not desperate it's just good business. I always contact them to see how the event went and if they were pleased with the cake. It's part of customer service.
I have done unfrosted cakes and make sure every layer is simple syruped. I have wrapped the sides with plastic wrap and not had a problem(removing plastic wrap before transporting). No one has ever said the cake was dry(scratch recipes).
Merckens Monopol.
It more than likely burned in the microwave. I always boil my cream and pour it over the chopped chocolate and then cover it with plastic wrap and let it sit a bit then whisk. I also use my food processor and chop the chocolate finely and add the boiling cream and mix in that. Hope that helps.
I have taught baking and had kitchen aid and viking mixers( I have used cuisinart ),not to crazy about them. I really dislike the vikings, they were way to loud and the everything got caught on the bottom. My fav is the kitchen aid 6 quart, bigger bowl. I have had my 6 quart kitchen aid for 4 years, I know for a while they were lacking in quality, but I have not had a problem.
Just received a email form Jen's cake, she said it was all piped! Amazing!
Thanks!
I love this cake and am thinking about doing a dummy cake., http://jaytsaiphotography.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/MS_SP_0009.jpg. Any ideas if it's molds and where are they from? Some of it is piped. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks