Posts by inspiredbymom

I love my majic lines.  I have round, square and sheet.  I love the corners.  My FD's are good heavy pans, but they are rounded in the corners and I don't like that.  I do line the bottom of my pans regardless just because I like the results better than just coating them with some type of release.  As far as the strips go, I have used them, but found if I took old towels and cut them into strips, I have good results with that too.  I like the way it keeps the sides from...
There is a similar mini mold (not sure how big you need it) on Etsy.   http://www.etsy.com/shop/MoldsByLili?ref=seller_info   Does it have to be chocolate?  A lot of times, we hand cut or mold fondant instead of using chocolate.   HTH
I agree that a nice box makes a big impression.  I buy my boxes in bulk (100 at a time) but I offer them for sale to other bakers who don't want to buy so much or pay the high prices for bakery boxes at the craft store.  Do you know a baker that would sell some of their stock in your area?  If not, BRP and Bake a Box are two box companies that offer smaller quantities.  Of course, the more you purchase, the less they cost per box.  Keep in mind, you need to figure that...
You also have to take count of your area when you are figuring pricing.  I know that I could not ever get 250 for a 12" cake where I am.  Very few of the best known cake makers in my area charge that much.  If they do, it is adorned to the hilt and is for weddings.  In my area, I get both worlds.  For a baby shower, I would quote $80 for that cake because my base rate is 2.00 a serving. It would be more if they wanted other stuff added to it.  If I look in the Wilton...
BakingIrene:  Out of curiosity, does the vinegar leave a taste with the batter?  Would white or cider be the one you choose?  What type of fruit puree would you recommend for a white cake that will not overpower?  I too am concerned with the holes that I get in the new boxed cake while I try out new recipes.  So far, I haven't found out that works for me.  I will be trying the one from ScratchSF's blog soon though!
Please keep us posted on how it turns out!  I've had good luck using royal and black (especially when I ordered the wrong color!  Sorry DH) so I am curious how this turns out!
Not all new sizes are created equal.  With the smaller Duncan Hines Classics, their customer service told me that you can still modify the size of your mix by taking some from a second box without problems.  If you use Pillsbury, it is a different story because they have completely changed their formulation and it is off!  I have been trying different store brands, but so far nothing has compared to what it was before all of the changing by any company.  I am actually...
I just noticed in my Bakery Craft catalog that they have a tilting turntable.  It is suppose to be non slip.  I don't know anything about it other than that but I though it was something different. HTH
In your posting, you listed the Department of Agriculture. They are part of it, but they may not know what is going on. Unfortunately, it sounds like the don't know where to send you. I answer to a local county department of health. They go by what the state department of health code standards are. Do you have a state department of health or a county health department? Is there a way to find out in the legislation who is monitoring this? There should be a reporting...
FromScratchSF: I don't know if this helps, and by no means do I know the ins and outs of other states, counties, etc. but in my county, in my state, there are so many rules that go to this. My HD goes by the minimum guidelines set forth by the state. The same HD when I was in the city limits had to enforce a different set of rules added on by the city. I could not bake there. The non perishable is really more like non potentially hazardous. That is probably better...