Posts by doramoreno62

Frog22 did you ever make this cake? I'm very curious to see your version!
Yeah there are a few shops in my area of Cali that I buy them from. But I need a larger size and the only way to get them is to order online. But then they won't ship to Cali. So frustrating!
They are considered inedible in California   "The U.S. Food and Drug Administration considers the metallic-finish dragées to be inedible, and they are sold with a notice that they are for decorative purposes only. Early in the 20th century, the silver finish may have contained mercury (it no longer does). The sale of these dragées was banned for some time. Although the metallic-finish dragées can be purchased in 49 U.S. states, they are no longer sold in California due...
I have tried both methods as described by the ladies above. The ones I made from gumpaste got sticky with the moisture fron the spray. Putting them in a ziploc with luster dust worked well but were very light silver. I think if you make your gumpaste a light gray, the silver will stand out more. Now I only use sixlets, although they might be a bit big. Good Luck!
Parece que las tiendas de Smart & Final solamente hay en California. Puedes ir a Sams club o Costco y pedir una cubeta de whipped topping en la repostreria. No se que marca venden pero es muy parecida a Rich's o Bettercream. Yo vivo en California y uso Pastry Pride en todos mis pasteles. Una ves trate de usar el Cool Whip pero se derritio. Suerte!
Thanks K8memphis, you rock!
WhaWhaWhat??? Fondant+cornstarch = crispy?? I've never known this. K8memphis, whats the ratio of fondant to cornstarch?
Yes! That's how I did it. Just make sure the dowels are actually placed inside the 6" cake and not in between the cake and styro dummy. I know that is just a drawing, but just trying to clarify.
CWR41 is correct. That is exacrly how I doweled this cake. a styrofoam dummy in the hollow center will add so much more stability    
Really! I always thought the "rule of thumb" was use as many dowels as the are inches in the cake that will sit on them. I don't use That many but if I am setting a 12" on top of a 14" I will use more than 5. At least 10 dowels. I use pvc  for dowels, not wood. I am too paranoid to use the bubble tea straws!