Posts by doramoreno62

I had no idea. This was posted today in her blog.Hi guys. I guess you’ve probably noticed my absence from the website recently. Well, I’ve finally felt good enough to post something. So here goes. I’ve been in the hospital for the last twelve days and I’m still not sure when I will get out. Hopefully soon. Hopefully. I’m definitely ready. Unfortunately, I was pretty sick when I arrived. I started out with an infection that made its way into my transplanted kidney and then...
Try you tube. Search for How to make a Mickey Mouse cake. You can find almost anything on you tube!
There are stores that still have layaway. Walmart, Kmart etc. You could buy a decent mixer this way. In my early days of caking, I used a Sunbeam stand mixer. Not too expensive and it lasted for quite a long time. Thank God that now I can afford to buy KitchenAid so I have 2. Once you get a stand mixer, you will never regret it!
Have you heard of Kataifi Dough? It is the shredded cousin to Fillo dough. You know, the stuff Baklava is made from. Well you can buy Kataifi dough uncooked and already shredded. It is shredded pretty finely so it would make realistic looking hay. You defrost it and pull it apart to loosen it. Then you form your hay bundles and put them in the oven to cook. It will crisp and even brown if you want. Once crisp you could airbrush some color to make them look like hay. Try...
I use only Mexican Vanilla. I have family that goes south of the border all the time so they get it for me. Very reasonable cost when you get it directly from Mexico. Around $10 for a quart!
I agree. If I was served bad wedding cake, I just wouldn't eat it.
If I were going to attempt this, I would first cut a circle out of gumpaste then cut straight down to the center then accross to the right. Like cutting a 1/4 wedge out of it. Then cut the other pieces out of colored gumpaste and layer them accordingly. Use a little water or piping gel for glue.
Probably Gumpaste, maybe fondant. It doesn't look too hard to make. It is pretty though!
I only use a flower nail on cakes that are 12" and larger. As the cake bakes, the flower nail gets hot therefore cooking the center of the cake at the same time as the outer edge. You do not get a dome because it all cooks at the same time. The pans in the picture do look to be about 8", so in my opinion, the nail was not necessary. HTH!
LKing12, you took the words right outta my mouth!