Posts by doramoreno62

OK! My cake is finished and I'm very happy with the way it turned out. It's in my photos if you're interested. Thanks for the help and advise!
Thank you TexasSugar! I will do that.
I just used the black ones tonite but I did add a splash of vegetable oil to them. They were fine. I believe shortening will work also.
I've never used a poured ganache but this cake requires it. I will be making a top and bottom border using Pastry Pride, a non dairy whipped topping. I'm afraid the top border may slide off. Any thoughts or suggestions are welcomed!
Thank you both. I will try the ganache recipe RebecaR!
You can also use regular store bought frosting like Betty crocker in chocolate and add liquid or paste food coloring to it to make it black. It will not seize. Just microwave it for about 10-15 seconds and that will make it loose enough so you can drag a toothpick and make your web. Hope that helped!
I'm putting my 2cents in! PJ22, maybe you can try adding cocoa powder to it. I dont use Bettercream but I've heard it's very similar to Pastry Pride, which is what I use. And I've added cocoa powder and a bit of powdered sugar to it while it's still in liquid form then whip it. It turns out great!Annabakescakes, can you add the liquor to it before whipping it up?
http://i55.tinypic.com/53tnph.jpgI believe this cake is covered in ganache because it's shiny. You can see it better in the movie "Life as we know it"I have never worked with ganache. All my cakes are frosted and decorated with Pastry Pride.So my questions are:1. Do I pour the ganache on top of the cake? If so, I will put it on a rack before pouring.2. Does the ganache set? 3. Am I supposed to ice it in buttercream before pouring the ganache? Or can I pour it directly on...
Of course strawberry and chocolate go together! Have you never had a chocolate dipped strawberry??? Heaven!!
I hate mine so it's a dust collector too. It's so annoying to have to adjust the pressure and the speed every time you use it. It should just be once, and done! But since its almost impossible to roll out fondant or gumpaste to the exact thickness each and every time, you have to adjust it each and every time!And to top it off, I feel bad trying to sell it because I begged the DH to buy it for me and he did for Mothers Day. In retrospect, I should have just accepted the...