Posts by doramoreno62

Shredded toasted coconut
Have you ever tried covering a cake with modeling chocolate? I find it is easier and more tasty than fondant.
So how did the cake come out?
I have this same question, except I'm doing it in gold and on stabilized whipped cream not buttercream. I wonder if you mixed piping gel with 24kt luster dust (or silver dust in the case of the OP), would this work? This is the cake I've been asked to do  
An easier way  would be to print the letters on an edible image sheet, cut them out and then put them on gumpaste and cut out. Blue gumpaste would work better. They would not look as realistic but since your letters are smaller, it wouldn't be so noticeable.             
They look too perfect for tracing. I'm guessing they had a stamp made and stamped them with edible ink.   I doubt they are printed on edible paper because I did that with these cookies and although you really can't see it in the picture the outline of the paper was visible. Barely, but visible.
I put a smear of melted chocolate or candy melts between the board and the cake. Once dry, your cake ain't goin no where!
Not sure if this is what you are looking for, but have you thought of printing the image out on edible paper and the mounting it on a gumpaste plaque?
Tonic water is always available in the Alcohol section at your super market. Sometimes its right next to the ginger ale. It contains no alcohol but it is commonly used as a mixer for drinks, usually a Gin and Tonic. I don't have exact measurements for I used but it was just enough to make the piping gel a bit runny.  Here are some links. There is a frosting recipe in the 2nd...
  I did this cake with colored piping gel with a little bit of Wilton white coloring to make it opaque. But here's the kicker...I added a bit of Tonic water to thin out the gel. Under a black light, the colors glowed in the dark! It was for a 13 year old who was celebrating her birthday at the bowling alley where they have Cosmic bowling. All the lights go out and only black lights are used. The cake was the talk of the bowling alley!