Posts by de_montsoreau

You've mentioned that your sister works with fondant etc. so maybe she can help you? (If she lives close to you of course...). Did you let the gelatin bloom before you dissolved it? It will have a much better binding capacity if you leave it to bloom for 10-15 minutes. Otherwise, I agree with the PP - maybe more glycerin? Oh and did you let the fondat rest for at least 6-8 hours or overnight?  
WOW. My sister married an Italian last year and with a very restrictive guest list and two wedding parties (one in Germany, and a smaller one in Italy) we totaled about 250 guests. I understand it can easily go up to 300-400 but anything more ist crazy, even by Italian standards ;-) (Just talking about my experience here, not putting down anyone). The wedding cake is quite important in the Italian tradition. I wonder how they will handle the usual photoshoot with the...
I have my own little bakery in a separate building on our property and it does get lonley some times, especially when working late into the night. I have a little TV-DVD-Radio-CD combination so I can choose if I listen to TV, a DVD or the radio - I hardly ever actually look at the screen. This is especially funny when it comes to commercials as I never look at those of course. When I do occaisionally watch TV in the house I'm always surprised at what visual...
Ok, so I NEED to be the first caker in Germany to see fondane! This will give me such an edge!!! Thank you!!  
Definitely! Yolks contain a lot of fat, so if you have double the amount of yolks in your batter, the ratio of fat to sugar is off and the cake will rise a lot less as it is "heavier" and the sugar will have less ability to act as a raising agent.  
    So do I :-) Thanks for the great input so far. I wouldn't have had blueberry on the list, but that's definitely food for thought ;-) Pumkin Pie would be high on the list as well but I'm afraid the Germans would be slightly bewildered, pumpinks are mainly used for savoury dishes over here. Key Lime or Lemon Meringue will definitely make it though!
What are your top three favourite American Pies?   I own a cupcake café and would like to expand our product range on offer. I think American style pies would do quite well, especially as we now have the European US Army Headquaters in town. But I need help in deciding which pies we should offer. I am thinking of having 3, max. 4 different varities in our showcase.   Any input is greatly appreciated!
Sorry, have to chime in on the OT here, as this reminds me so much of my grandparents :-)   When I was living out of the country for a little more than three years (this was in the early 90ies so before Internet was widely available) my grandparents used to write me a monthly letter. They had the appropriate stationary with the month and some nice seasonsal flowers printed on it. My Grandma did the front page of the letter, my grandpa the back page. I still have them all...
I'll chime in with the others - don't give up. There is always a way. Ask me how I know ;-) A year ago I was in an even worse situation than you. I already had my storefront and a small bakery in a separate building on our grounds. Both cakes and cupcakes were going really well so I wanted to build a much larger kitchen (mine was and is bursting at the seams as well) and open a second storefront. Went to the bank with a concept. They said this is great we will support...
At least 850 and a loooooot of patience!!