Posts by writersblock15

I live in the Philadelphia suburbs where neighborhoods vary financially. The one I held this class in was a lower middle class area with high unemployment and I did well charging what I did. Some of the wealthy areas are minutes away and I could get away with charging more, as long as I give them good value for what I charge.My next class will be slightly higher, $35 and will be held in an upper middle class neighborhood. We will be decorating Valentines Day cookies and...
Not just fun...but profitable. I made more money in 2 hours teaching this class than I would have selling the cookies when you figure how much time it takes to bake and decorate them.
It's legal, bold, creative and smart if she can raise this money. She's upfront and honest about where the money is going towards so it's legal. If her customers donate enough money for her expansion, then kudos to her for finding a way to finance her business without having to deal with interest ridden loans and credit issues.
I only bake for hobby but in my full time sales job we tell "price shoppers" that our discounts are available to our good customers only. There have been several instances where we were greedy for the sale and did discount and ended up getting burned. The client would take our price to a competitor who then would discount even more to get the sale. They would bring in the competitors offer and ask for us to discount even more. It was like a ping pong game.Another...
Yes it was fun. My next cookie class is already scheduled for February.
I agree with MimiFix especially about the other vendors. There are several Farmer's Markets near me, all of them attract different crowds of people based on the vendors. One of the markets has high end vendors and does very well while a another one has mediocre merchandise and is struggling to stay open. Look to see which vendors draw the most customers and look for a spot near them. The cost to rent a booth or table varies not just from one market to another but from...
I've always used butter at room temperature, not melted and never had that problem. Try adding more flour to firm up the dough.
That's ok. And thanks for the compliment.
For the demographics of this neighborhood, $30 was enough. This neighborhood is deeply affected by recession and high unemployment. For one woman who attended, this class was her Christmas present from her daughter. Unless you live in this town, you can't make a judgement call of what "enough" is.
My first cookie decorating class went very well. Everyone had a great time and thought this class was a fun and relaxing distraction from the holiday stress. I know the owner of a small Mexican restaurant who allowed me to use her dining area for this class. I charged $30 for a 2 hour class which included lunch. Each student got 5 pre-baked cookies (4 sugar and 1 gingerbread), 3 disposable pastry bags, 2 couplers, tip #2 and #3, 2 tablespoons merengue powder, and a...