Posts by rowingmom

As soon I sent my previous message I had a thought. Ask how many people they expect to come through. If you get a lot of traffic (over 500) then it is a good deal). If it is 50 then maybe not. In my experience there can be big number differences between shows.
The closet bridal fair for me is over 600 for two days. Your price sounds cheap to me.
I purchased it last spring and use it all the time. I think that it helps me be professional with my clients. I use it to work up a quote during consulations and send invoices. It is also a good visual when am am talking about how many servings per tier size. I don't think that it replaces quick books but it has been a useful tool. Well work the money I spent.
What would you charge for a regular cupcake? I would then figure how much time it will take for you to make one and how much it will cost in materials and then charge accordingly. I would defintely be charging more than three dollars.
I understand what you are talking about. I have no trouble with my chocolate cakes and carrot etc.., but often I get comments that my white cakes are dry. I have been trying quite a few recipes and find that generally people like the white cake better if I make it with a sour cream/ milk mix instead of just milk and if I use shortening instead of butter. The other thing I do is add moistening syrups to the cakes depending on the flavor combinations. Other than...
I think a good way to meet caterers or wedding plannners ect... is to join a wedding guild or a wedding organization in your area. It is a good way to get to know people and see who you would like to be linked with. I have gotten referrels from photographers, florists, wedding planners and caterers. As and see if anyone is having a open house and offer to provide some cake. It is a great way to get known. It is nice to have the word out from a variety of ...
I was really tempted to let fly and I did in my mind, but they would be the types that would hurt my business by spreading tales about the grumpy baker. I counted to five and just politely reminded her I was by appoinment only and it would have been better to have cancelled before the samples had been prepared. It left them politely and quietly embaressed about their manners. On a good note the wedding venue I partner with had scheduled a tour a little later in the...
neelycharmed thank you for the laugh When I read your post I just could envision zombie cake bakers armed with cakes you made my day!!!
Good idea about calling to confirm. I will definetly implement that. I have never had anyone ever miss appoinment before, but it seems you have to plan for the 3% of the public that thinks it is all about them.
I was to have Wednesday thru Sunday off for the Holidays when I recieved a call from a dad in need of a quickly arranged cake tasting. His daughter and her fiancee were going to fly in and would only be here thru Sunday. Could I please accommidate them(I am by appointment only). I agreed to arrange a tasting at the kitchens on Thursday morning at ten. Even though my own daughter flew in late Wednesday night( I didn't get home from the airport until 1:00 a.m.) I...