Posts by shannycakers

The 'BIG' deal is for those of use who do not use much butter in our frosting, and we like high ratio shortening, which i special order in 50 pound blocks, this is mostly due to the fact that we do not refrigerate our cakes. You stated just add butter and refrigerate up till the wedding. Well I for one dont use refrigeration on my fondant cakes or any cake because my cakes are huge and i dont have a big enough refrigerator for that.   So yes its a big deal, for us high...
Thank you Liz, I just stocked up from my supplier before the big ban occurrs, I am just upset about this as this is my tried n true recipe I love. I am not sure what everyone is going to do about the fondant with all the trans fats either..   Its so funny the FDA is banning this, but promoted GMO- food. ahahah its laughable, I wont even get started on the effects of that as I would be on here all day, and I have a masters in public health so I am well educated on food...
additionally, is everyone forgetting that fondant has trans-fats also in it...
Yes I had already seen that, Jason says its ok...except for temp.. and the Embers mom says " The icing we use at work went ZTF a couple of years ago, and there is a definite difference in its texture, depending on the season. During the colder months we have to store it closer to the oven because it gets too hard and crumbly otherwise. Conversely, during the warmer months it can be quite gloppy'.   That is 2 stark differences, which is why I asked for more experienced...
ok I see alot of comments and laughs, and off topic responses from those who dont currently use Sweetex or high ratio shortening, but for those of us with our recipe that DO use them.. including Sharon Zambino...what are we going to do now? I will not switch to SMBC or anything similar.   Has anyone tried the Sweetex Z?? I would like to keep my crusting please. ANYONE? this is huge problem, laugh all you want but for us crusting buttercream makers...and lovers.. this is...
yes I thought about that, and am going to try it, I just hope the skewers dont slash right through the cake and drop...i was even thinking of putting a dowel under each apple.. not sure
Wedding cake for this weekend and bride is supplying the apples, on a 3 tier square 6/8/10 wedding cake, all crusting buttercream. I just realized I am not sure how to secure the apples on the tiers, since there is only a 2 inch space instead of 3..   Any one have ideas, i have seen photos with apples all over and wondered how are they getting them to stay in place?   Also any one know how to get the rustic non smooth buttercream look? I planned on taking a spatula and...
leave it alone.. let the child bake and make a few dollars. He will get tired of baking very soon anyway..and the mother will get tired of bringing them to work. Some places dont consider it a business unless you make X amount of profit per year. Doubful this child is going to make that much for tax purposes, lol.   AND 50 cents is not going to pay for the ingredients so Im sure this is just a life lesson for the child.   I cant believe im even responding to this...
Wowsers, once again a simple question, turned into much more. Its one thing to inform but to keep on informing over and over again is so redundant, and then to accuse them of baking in a non commercial kitchen when she does use a commercial kitchen is crossing the line... THAT WASNT HER QUESTION.   If you dont know something.. dont act like you do, and dont jump to conclusions. Thats why I hate CC half the time. Thank goodness for half of cc being awesome people, its...
ok I just found this recipe on cake central, anyone have any other suggestions??   APPLE SPICE CAKE   Ingredients 3 cups flour 1 1/2 cups sugar 4 medium sized granny smith apples [cut into chunks about the size of a dime] 1/2 cups plain apple sauce 1/4 cups milk 1 stick unsalted butter [softened] 1 tsp. baking powder 1 tsp. baking soda 1/2 tsp. nutmeg 1 tsp. cinnamon 1/4 tsp. salt 2 eggs   Directions 1. Preheat oven to 350. 2. Cut...