Posts by mom2twogrlz

I use Satin Ice and love it. You would have to buy it at a specialty cake shop or online though. They don't sell it at Michaels or Joanns, not around here anyway.
Anyone??? Bump.....
It looks like the petal tip used flat against the cake for one row, then pulled out slightly and ruffled for the next, then they went over the seem with a small round tip in a loose pattern. Then the top is just the petal tip ruffled. That is my guess anyway. Beautiful cake!
I would wet the dried gumpaste ever so slightly with vodka to attach them. Make sure not to add too much, or it will melt the paper and your ink will run.
I am making a taped cake for my friend's bridal shower and have a few questions about construction. I have done it once before, but it was years ago, and I have no idea how I did it, or if I did it right (I had just started making big cakes and just winged it). Do you guys use three layers, resulting in a 6 inch high cake, or 2 layers, making it 4 inches high? And do you taper in 2 inches or 1 inch toward the bottom? I am wondering because I need to order a cake dummy for...
WOW...Brownie Roll Ups!!! I want those!!!!!
OOPS.....
Thank you. That is what I was thinking, the bottom being the size for servings. I am not charging for this, since I am a hobby baker, making it for a friend's bridal shower. However, I am thinking I might open a business if the CFL passes in CA. Would you charge more per serving, using the servings you figured using the diameter of the bottom, or would you charge your normal price, but for the diameter of the top? Which would be best???? Just curiosity. I was definitely...
Anyone??? Bump.....
How do you guys figure your serving sizes for a tapered cake? It will not be a fully topsy turvy cake, but rather just tapered from larger on the top to smaller on the bottom on each tier. Do you use the diameter at the top of the layer, or at the bottom?I am trying to figure out what sizes I should use to make sure we have enough cake. TIA