Posts by Tiara13

I was wondering if anyone could explain to me how to make the chocolate ruffles? They are absolutely gorgeous, and I would love to use them on a pirouline cake I am planning.
I always worry about there not being enough cake too...and then there is always leftovers! Remember - not everyone at the party will want a slice of cake. Sometimes people are full, or on diets, or (horror of all horrors) simply don't like cake. I think the size is perfect, and the design is gorgeous.
I used to have the same problem as you, and I know exactly how frustrating it is! It's something that should be so simple, but it's not, and it affects the appearance of the whole cake. My solution was using a cake leveler, then using Wilton's tip 789 to ice the cake, and then running a spatula over the cake to smooth it. It cut my time in half (at least!), brought my stress level right down, and resulted in perfectly smooth cakes every time. The website is...
How exciting for you! I teach grade 8 history, and I absolutely love it. The textbooks are brutal, so you really have to search for exciting information and resources that will pull the students back in time, but if you're passionate about the subject, your students will share your passion. Best wishes!
Hmm...not sure of the exact ratio - I put about 2 tbsp of water in an egg cup, then added a 2-3 tsp of meringue powder one by one, mixing it with a fork. It looks cloudy when it's the right consistency. That small amount of meringue and water mix is more than enough to do the quilting pattern on a three tier, double layered cake (take a look at my pics if you want to see one I did for a reference) - only a tiny amount is needed to attach. Hope this helps - post a picture...
A mix of meringue powder and water - works REALLY well. I used a tool with a small ball at the end to make an indent, then added a tiny drop of the meringue powder/water mix, and then put on the dragee. It acts just like glue, and dries clear.
In my "real", non-cake-decorating life I'm a teacher, and my Grade 8 students have been BEGGING me to make them a cake since September. I told them that if they successfully organized a school-wide non-perishable food drive for Christmas Cheer, I would make them a cake. Well, they collected 1648 food items in one week - I'd say they deserve their cake!They prefer white cake, and I love the WASC recipe I found on CC, but I haven't found a filling I really like and I'm...
Thanks for all of your advice, everyone. I finished the cake and learned a couple of lessons along the way. I decided to go ahead and use the crusting buttercream, and it turned out really well. I still need to work on getting it nice and smooth, but I was fairly pleased with my first attempt. I tried to post an attachment, but wasn't able to. I added it to my photos though, so if you are interested please take a look at my profile. Thanks again for the great advice...
Hi! I could really use some help - I'm making a Detroit Red Wings cake, and would like to try the frozen buttercream transfer method. I've never tried this before, and I only found one tutorial on here that helped at all. If you have tried this before and have any advice, I would really, really appreciate it. By the way, I live in a small town, and therefore only have access to Wilton and homemade products.Thanks!!!
I use it, I love it, I use it on the whole pan always.