Posts by tsal

Hi,   I just tried out Bakerella's red velvet recipe for the first time this morning. It calls for 2 oz of red food coloring.  I doubled the cake recipe but did not double the food color because I used Americolor Super Red soft gel paste color, so it works out to 1 oz per cake (half the amount called for in the recipe).   I just read a few stories on the net about how people's teeth were stained red due to the color (in this recipe), and now I'm afraid that I...
Great cake!   I always crumb coat my cakes while they are frozen, let them settle overnight in the fridge, then frost and decorate and I've never had a problem with bulging.  My cakes are not at room temperature until they are delivered and no issues to date!    I use SMBC which firms up beautifully in the fridge and I keep my cakes nice and cold until delivery as it makes delivery even easier.
Hi,   Colette Peters was nice enough to respond to a question I had regarding the rolling pin she was using in her Craftsy class. I am looking for a new one since I had to finally throw out my ancient one.  She said that she likes silicone rolling pins (I Googled it and I think she uses the yellow Wilton one).   Is there a popular concensus here in regards to rolling pins?  Is silicone the way to go?  In the meantime I am using the white Wilton one but I hate...
I used his recipe but added all 6 sticks of butter when it really needed only four (he says in the video that the amount may vary from 4-6 sticks due to temperature/humidity/etc.).  The icing was very stable though and was easy to work with (just tasted too buttery).  Next time I will only use 4 sticks.   I think he's a great teacher!
Thanks for the replies!  :)
Hi, I just took Alice Medrich's "Decadent Chocolate Cakes" course on Craftsy and one of the recipes involves spreading warm chocolate on a shelf liner (to wrap the outsides of the cake in chocolate). She recommends going to the hardware store to buy the shelf liner. I've seen many posts here warning that shelf liner is not food safe - but does a food safe liner exist? If not, what can I use as an alternative?
I am going to try Fondarific next.
I have been a loyal Satin Ice user despite having issues with it because it is the only fondant that I can buy locally at a reasonable price.  I hate the bubbles that form after I cover a cold cake, and I hate the chemical smell.  All of my cakes looked fantastic though despite those issues.  I tend to preface any of my cakes with 'feel free to peel off the fondant - I won't be insulted'.  I'm a hobbyist so I'm usually invited to the events that my cakes are...
Thanks for the replies! I'm happy to hear that it's normal.
Hi,   Dh just surprised me with an upgrade from my 4.5 qt Ultra Power to the 7 Qt.  I adjusted the bowl clearance on the flat beater so that it just clears the bowl (as indicated in the user manual).  My question is about the 11-wire whisk attachment.   It clears the bowl beautifully, but I swear I hear it tapping the sides of the bowl.  I called KitchenAid and a customer service rep told me that it will do this, but I wanted to double check to see if anyone else...