Posts by tsal

Hi,I'm still working on that wine bottle cake and dh helped me roll out the pieces for the wine box, which are made of fondant. I was turning a piece over today (so that it could continue drying) and it started to crack. I put it down immediately and the crack was barely perceptible. I then used food coloring and clear vanilla to paint on some woodgrain detail. The teeny crack is not visible now but i'm afraid that the next time I touch it, it may crack even more. Is...
I use either gumpaste or fondant mixed with Tylose powder. I have learned that fondant on its own when mixed with color can become too soft (I made an Elmo once that completely sunk over when I left it to dry because it was too soft.I put the pieces of the figurines together immediately and allow 48 hrs to dry.HTH!
OMG that's so cute!! But I understand your embarrassment at the appearance of bragging.
Hi,I'm the family cake-baker, but my 5 yr old nominated my husband to make my birthday cake ("you can't see your own cake, Mommy, it has to be a surprise - daddy will make it!") So, DH has risen to the challenge and has been doing a lot of 'research' on CC (he knows this is my go-to site for cakes). I find it really cute! He has a design in mind but says that he has not asked any questions yet. My birthday is in May, but he is taking this very seriously.Plus, he said...
Thanks! I tried the vodka and corn syrup concoction and it is AMAZING!!! I highly recommend it!!
Thanks so much for your post! I absolutely love your quote, by the way- so true!
Hi,I'm planning a navy-blue hockey cake for my nephew. I don't have an airbrush machine. Is it possible to achieve such a dark color without airbrushing? My sister-in-law has made many comments about how 'yucky' the fondant I use is and she would prefer an all-buttercream cake. We're kosher so I use Satin Ice as MMF is out of the question since marshmallows are not kosher.
Try the 50/50 corn syrup and vodka. I just tried this last night and the result is impressive on my wine-bottle cake (I'm having numerous other issues, but the finish worked out swimmingly!)Thought I'd pass this along - it really looks beautiful. I will post pics of finished cake on Friday.
I found a recipe for white chocolate raspberry mousse that I was dying to try but didn't have any Grand Marnier (dh & I are not really drinkers and I'm still breastfeeding so I can't even remember the last time I had some alcohol).Anyway, I decided to go to the liquor store where I was unpleasantly surprised at the cost of a bottle of Grand Marnier. I noticed that they had the teeny tiny bottles for sale there so I bought one given that I only need 2 tbsp for the recipe...
Hi,I did crumb coat with buttercream first, but only once I put the fondant on could I see all the imperfections (some of which may have been hidden by the label, had it fit). The bottle is lying down.I will try cutting and making small seams at the bottom of the bottle. The varnish did end up drying nicely - I must say that the finish is very glass-like!I will post pics of the final product once it's done on Friday. Sometimes I wonder how people here on CC produce such...