Posts by tsal

Ah - good to know.  I use a high-quality Bourbon pure vanilla extract.  I do have some VBP in the house but have yet to try it.
Hi,   Below is my SMBC recipe.  My 6 yr old ds says that it tastes too buttery (as does my dh), but my other two kids love it.  I have added powdered sugar to the recipe to lessen the buttery taste (which makes it a dream to work with as well - adds stability).   Comments?  Suggestions?  I find that SMBC is not a crowd pleaser - you either like it or find it too buttery and it seems that there is always someone complaining that it's too buttery, which quite...
Thanks for the tip, DianeLM! I will look for one of those lid-opening thingies!
After watching a Colette Peters course on Craftsy, I now want to try Massa Ticino. She swears by it but wow is it expensive! And I'm not sure that it's nut-safe (I know that there are no nuts in it, but it may be manufactured in a facility that produces but products). I'll have to do some research.
Thanks, Jennicake. Do you have the 7 qt?
Thanks for the replies!! I did not end up freezing them after all, but it's good to know for future reference!
This is what I have found since I have encountered my fair share of blotchy smbc:   I smooth it just after putting it on the cake - never after having been refrigerated.  I tried the hot spatula method and it resulted in horrible blotches so I thought that if I just scraped it with a room temp scraper, it should be fine - nope.  Blotchy streaky yuckiness.   What happens is that your cold butter comes into contact with something warmer (the room temp scraper) and...
I just baked some red velvet cupcakes for this evening. I'd like to give them the boost of moisture that freezing provides.  If I pop them in the freezer for 3 or 4 hours, will that be enough?
I'm beginning to really think that I may have not clicked the bowl in properly.  Grrr.  No fault but my own.  I think they should install a beeping system to warn newbies about the bowl not being clicked in properly - lol!  I never had to think about it with my old tilt head.   Are the bowl and whisk still ok to use given that they are a little scratched?  Is there a finish I should be concerned about?   I will ask DH to try to adjust the bowl lower and retry the...
Hi,   Dh bought me a 7 qt Kitchenaid stand mixer in December.  I checked the beater-to-bowl clearance and it seemed fine, however, I was whipping up egg whites the other night (that just would NOT whip up so my mixer was going for a LOOONG time) and I noticed after cleaning the bowl that I had distinct scratch marks from the whip at the bottom of the bowl (and they were not there before).  I whipped up egg whites just the other day without an issue, but my egg whites...