Posts by tsal

We did discuss size so I'll stick with the original sizes. Thanks, everyone!!!
Hi,   I'm making a wedding cake for my friend's wedding this coming Saturday.  I originally was making a three tier round (12", 10", 8") cake to serve 118.  This is a free cake, and dh thinks we should give a gift on top of that since, "it is just cake after all and they won't understand how much time/effort went into it and you don't want to look cheap".   They never gave me a final tally but I imagine that there will be about 120-150 people at the wedding (as per the...
Thanks, Dayti.  I am going to print up your post and try it with my next cake.
Hi,   How does everyone flavor their chocolate SMBC?  I notice that when I add melted cooled (yes I make sure it's completely cooled) chocolate, my icing is substantially more difficult to work with.  The chocolate changes the consistency.   I use high-quality dark chocolate couverture (Cocao Barry).    I am a hobbyist and am very discouraged as I tried to triple a batch last night to save time and it never came together (this was before any chocolate was added - I...
I never use cornstarch or powdered sugar. I will try adding a little crisco next time though.
It was a standard foil-wrapped board.  Cardboard I think.
The last two cakes I covered in Satin Ice had elephant skin and cracking at the bottom.  I don't consider myself slow when it comes to working the fondant once it's on the cake, but sure enough, when I got to smoothing the final parts of the "skirts" on my round cakes, they were cracking.   I used FondX once and liked it because it seemed immensely more workable, but it is not readily available here and I'd have to pay for shipping.   Should I add shortening to Satin...
Hi,   I never used to cover my cake boards, but I have decided to take my hobby to the next level and hopefully make my cakes look better.   I covered my board a couple of days in advance so it was well and set.  Then I placed my 6" cake on a 6" cake circle that was trimmed a little (so it was a touch smaller than 6") so that it wouldn't show at all, and covered it in fondant (all good up until then).   I then perfected the bottom edge of the tier but trimming the...
Thanks everyone - happy to see that I am not the only one who can't sketch!   I am seeing the bride next Friday to review the sketch and finalize design.  Hope she likes it!
I was hoping it was something easier - lol!  I thought maybe it was done with a Cricut and just stuck on.