Posts by kimbm04r

Thanks Jan.I acutally bought the extract at the same time I bought the jam. I guess I will just go with my original idea and use the extract.Do you have any suggestions for the filling? Can I use sliced fresh strawberries, and if so how, do I layer them with the buttercream icing or another way.
My daughter (yes, she is the one I made the identical fake/real cakes for earlier in the month) called last night and ordered a cake for her Mother-In-Law for the end of the month. She wants the cake to be in the shape of a School Bus and be made with Strawberry cake. I wasn't able to find a strawberry mix from the brand I use (BC) tonight so I bought a jar of Strawberry Jam to add to a white cake mix. Can anybody tell me how much jam to add to the box mix and what...
The time has come..............drum roll please!!!Thanks for playing.Number 1 is the fake. You guys are just to good!
I have been laughing through all 6 pages of this. This brings back a memory when my younger sister babysat for one of my kids when they were very young. Her daughter and a friend wanted an apple so my sister took the apple and cut it in half and gave each one a half of the apple. My neice looked at the friend and promptly stated, "Haha, my piece is bigger than yours!" My sister turned, looked at her, took her piece of apple, chopped it in half and gave her the now...
I would have to say my KA (it has to be at least 25 years old), the corian turntable my husband made me, and my spatulas (stright and angled), I am sure there are others, but these are the top of the list.
She actually had the nerve to call me EVIL, imagine that. She told them at work that it wasn't over. Keep the guesses coming. Will reveal the "real" cake Sunday for all interested.Thanks for the comments thus far.
As you may recall, in May my daughter tricked me into making my own birthday cake saying it was for a friend at work and had everyone at work involved in the surprise so I wouldn't get wise to her scheme. She surprised me with it at a party she had for me. I told her that I would make a cake for her to take to work sometime since they never got to taste the cake she tricked me into making. Well yesterday was her birthday and where she works has a party once a month for...
I am not sure what name brand I have, but I got it from Walmart. It measures in ounces, grams, pounds and has a tare function. It has a glass top to it, I am not sure how much it will weight but I know I have weighted 4 pounds of powdered sugar and not maxed it out. I even put my KA bowl on it and set the tare and weight out the shortening (2 pounds) for 4 batches of Wilton Class Buttercream.
I have no idea how much I had in it because I had to rebake both cakes because I had problems with both of them at different times. The dummy cake was a 14". We make our own dummy cakes from a sheet of styrofoam from Menards so it only costs a few cents to make the dummy itself. I think I will probably increase my charge for the flowers to around $2 per calla and maybe $.75 to $1 for the stephanotis. I had originally purchased an SPS system to assemble this cake but...
Thanks everyone. This cake came about because of a referral by someone I go to church with (I take a cake to church each month for the birthdays of the month). I got a friend request on FB and it turned out to be this bride asking me to make her wedding cake. She saw the calla lillies that I have posted on FB and she wanted those on her wedding cake. She gave the colors and stacked construction and said that after seeing pictures of my cake, she trusted me and gave me...