Posts by michalmari

I have a client who wants a special Halloween cake this year. The theme is an Alien Autopsy. My thought is a sheet cake that will be the autopsy table, I will create some autopsy instruments, etc. The challenge I have is that I have not done a ton of big sculping and I suspect I need to do that for the Alien lying on the table. I am looking for suggestions on the best way to sculpt or create the alien - head, torso, arms/hands, legs/feet. Should I try to scuplt it out of...
Anyone know where I can get some miniature colored LED lights to use in an upcoming cake? I have found the "floating tealights" but I am not sure those are small enough. I have seen several cake artists use LEDs here on CC and would love to get some feed back about where to purchase them, what size used and any cake decorating precaution I should take to use them.Thanks so much everyone!MichalSugar On Tap
Has anyone ever had a request for a volcano cake which would have lava coming out "on demand" - so to speak? I have a potential new client for a large company who is asking for this kind of cake. I have never made an "interactive" cake before am thinking I would need some plywood for the base (covered fondant or RI) and then maybe some PVC pipe for the center of the cake for the "lava" to come out - secured with a metal flange? And if I can figure out the constuction, then...
I am venturing out into the wedding cake arena and have my first consultation with a bride this Friday. This information is wonderful as I was wondering what to ask for as a deposit. I think 50% makes sense, up front and I like the idea of getting the remaining 50% 2 weeks before the event that way you don't have to worry about payment on the day of delivery since the bride and groom have other things on thier minds. My question to everyone is this, what do you do if the...
Anyone have a good distributor they use to buy their cocoa powder from? I was buying mine from Costco - pretty good Dutch unsweetened cocoa powder too. It was 1.5 lbs and I was able to buy it for under $7. Now I am back to buying it from my local grocery stores - only 10 oz. at a time for the same price. I am very frustrated and my cake prices have to go back up and I am losing profit. Any suggestions on where to buy online would be great. Thanks!
Thanks so much LindaF144a. I will give it a shot and see what happens.
Ok - so increase the flour by 1/2 cup OR decrease the granulated sugar by 1/4 cup? Do I have that correct? Also, do you think it makes a difference on light or dark brown sugar?
Thanks LindaF144a. How much would you suggest I reduce the sugar by? If I reduce the sugar should I increase the flour as well? I was given the recipe when I attended a one hour cake decorating/baking class a couple years ago from a local cake supply store that does classes. I fell in love with how it tastes so I really want to use it but I need to get it to stop sinking.Another thing I forgot to mention is the recipe calls for dark brown sugar, but I used light brown....
It is actually concave - it domes nicely while cooking though. The outside of the cake was definitely done - it was actually a bit overdone. The center of the cake was cooked all the way as well - it was not at all doughy. The toothpick was clean, as you stated and since the outer edges were beginning to show signs of being overcooked, I pulled it out of the oven. The first time I did this cake the center was definitely under cooked and I did not use flower nails. This...
Here's the recipe and directions - I used 9" pans with flower nails in the center. The odd thing is that the center was indeed done but just sunk... I was going to post this recipe for others to try out but want to figure out the problem first... Thanks for the help.Spiced Carrot CakeIngredients2 cup flour2 tsp baking soda1 1/2 tsp baking powder1/2 tsp salt2 tsp cinnamon1/2 tsp nutmeg1/2 tsp ginger, ground1/4 tsp allspice1/4 tsp cloves, ground1 1/2 cup vegetable oil4 ...