Posts by Jeff_Arnett

You are going to get as many ideas as decorators on the best stacking method.   Personally, mine has never failed.   I use a base, usually 1/2 inch foam core with another 1/2 board, 4 inch smaller, glued under....this gives you great support plus you can easily get your fingers under it.   I usually order my 1/2 round board with a 3/8 center hole already drilled...there are a couple places to get these...PM me if you need a supplier.   I cut a 3/8 inch center...
Start lowering you prices every time a customer tries to talk you down and you'll soon be out of business.....set your prices and stick to them!  If you don't get the order, there will be others......
Yes....but looking forward to the day it become an everyday tool for decorators, much like the edible image printers and Cricut/Cameo cutting machine.....   By the way, that looks fantastic!!
I was just reading about/watching a video on 3D printing and wonder....how long will it be until someone created a 3D printing system for edible objects?   Imagine printing a cake topper or figure out of a sugar medium!!  I don't believe it's unrealistic or that far-fetched.  In just a few years 3D printers have gone from many thousand of dollars in cost to costing in the 100s of dollars......   I think it would be really neat to be able to custom design a cake topper...
The same thing happened to me this past March...ran out of liquid with quite  bit of powder left.  I used 1 teaspoon glycerin instead.  I still have some of the lace from that batch stored and it's still perfectly flexible and usable, so I say...yes, just use the glycerin!
I do both if the cake is 10 inches or larger.....
My white cake uses 4 whites....when I make yellow cake, I use two large whole eggs plus 3 large egg yolks.  I usually add a drop or two of yellow coloring too since even with whole eggs the cakes really isn't "yellow" enough.  Most people are expecting the color of boxed mix yellow cake, so adding a bit of color helps distinguish the cake more from a white cake.
Count me in!
I agree very much.  I miss the days of piped cakes and buttercream flowers.  I know taste and style have to change, but I still long for those days sometimes.  I think there was value in the anticipation of those publications too....now days if you want something, you simply Google it and its there....but I looked forward tor receiving Mailbox News and certainly the annual yearbook.  I guess I'm just old and waxing nostalgic.....
You could easily get an effect like that using one of the spreadable lace mats (Sugarveil, Sugardress, Claire Bowman, etc.) on the market.  Once applied to the cake you would then airbrush the whole thing gold.