Posts by zinger60

The food safe cellophane is in rolls on a rack near the wrapping paper. It is with the giftbasket supplies. If you look closely at the roll, it will say that it is safe to be used with food. I think only the clear cellophane says that. The colors and other decorated ones say they are not safe to be used with food. I think every Michaels has this but like I said, if you ask the store workers for food safe cellophane, they will probably say they don't carry it.
Thanks to the some of the replys I got on here, I found the food safe cellophane at Michaels and of course I used my 40% off coupon I wasn't sure where it would be at in the store so I asked someone working there where the food safe cellophane would be. She said they didn't sell it but because of the replys I got on here, I knew they did so I just went to the giftbasket area and found it!!! I bought the biggest roll of it so I hope I like the way it works. It's...
Where would you find food safe shrink wrap?
My bottom tiers are always on a cake board before I put them on the foam board so the bottom of the cake is never touching the foam board. I did not think there would be a problem with food safety since the cake is not touching the board. I posted this question an another cake site and got all kinds of negative replies because they said even though the cake is not touching the foam board, the border of the bottom tier is. I then said that maybe I could just cut my...
For the plain cake boards underneath my stacked cakes, I use press n seal to wrap them. I was wondering what I can use to cover my bigger cake boards and foam core boards. I would love being able to use wrapping paper because of the variety of designs but not sure what to cover that with. Press n seal has an opaque look to it and would leave seams on larger boards. If I put the bottom tier on a cake board the same size of the cake and set that on the foam core board,...
I have been making cakes for 30 years and never had problems with my cakes sticking to the pans until just lately. I tried the WASC cake recipe for the first time last week. For the first two cakes, I sprayed them with Bakers Joy spray. When I tried to get them out of the pans, they stuck and when they did come out, they tore on the bottom and sides, not alot but did not come clean out of the pans so the edges were all jagged and torn. The second ones, I used...
Thanks everyone, for the replys. I got my straws at a local Asian store for only $1.49 for 40 of them. It sounds like I would not need the wooden dowels along with the straws even on the large tier, am I correct?
I have heard so many good things about using the straws so I am thinking of trying them in a wedding cake I am going to be making in June but not sure how many to use or whether to combine them with wooden dowels. It will be a 3 tier stacked cake. The bottom will be 14" round, middle 8"square and top 6" round. I am not so much concerned with using just the straws in the top two tiers but wondering if I should use them with dowels in the bottom since alot of weight will...
Thank you so much! Do you know what those measurements would be in standard measurements? I'm not familiar with metrics
Thanks Icer101, the post was helpful. She is using a 3 to 1 ratio of chocolate to cream, which I think helps to get a more firm ganache. My biggest question now is what is meant by 3 to 1 when you are dealing with one item that is a liquid and one item that is dry weight. Are they talking about measuring the chocolate in liquid measure after melting it? If anyone can help, I would sure appreciate it.