Posts by zinger60

For the plain cake boards underneath my stacked cakes, I use press n seal to wrap them. I was wondering what I can use to cover my bigger cake boards and foam core boards. I would love being able to use wrapping paper because of the variety of designs but not sure what to cover that with. Press n seal has an opaque look to it and would leave seams on larger boards. If I put the bottom tier on a cake board the same size of the cake and set that on the foam core board,...
I have been making cakes for 30 years and never had problems with my cakes sticking to the pans until just lately. I tried the WASC cake recipe for the first time last week. For the first two cakes, I sprayed them with Bakers Joy spray. When I tried to get them out of the pans, they stuck and when they did come out, they tore on the bottom and sides, not alot but did not come clean out of the pans so the edges were all jagged and torn. The second ones, I used...
Thanks everyone, for the replys. I got my straws at a local Asian store for only $1.49 for 40 of them. It sounds like I would not need the wooden dowels along with the straws even on the large tier, am I correct?
I have heard so many good things about using the straws so I am thinking of trying them in a wedding cake I am going to be making in June but not sure how many to use or whether to combine them with wooden dowels. It will be a 3 tier stacked cake. The bottom will be 14" round, middle 8"square and top 6" round. I am not so much concerned with using just the straws in the top two tiers but wondering if I should use them with dowels in the bottom since alot of weight will...
Thank you so much! Do you know what those measurements would be in standard measurements? I'm not familiar with metrics
Thanks Icer101, the post was helpful. She is using a 3 to 1 ratio of chocolate to cream, which I think helps to get a more firm ganache. My biggest question now is what is meant by 3 to 1 when you are dealing with one item that is a liquid and one item that is dry weight. Are they talking about measuring the chocolate in liquid measure after melting it? If anyone can help, I would sure appreciate it.
Everywhere I have looked, I have read that to get a firmer ganache, you use 3 parts chocolate to 1 part heavy cream. To me, that is like comparing apples to oranges. The cream is a liquid so it would be measured in liquid ounces and the chocolate would be measured dry weight. Does three to one mean to measure the chocolate after it is melted? HELP!
They actually say something like "Boba Straws" but since it was an Asian store, not sure if maybe Boba means bubble. There was no mention of tea straws anywhere on them. I knew that's what they are because of the thickness of them. Mine are cut at an angle on one end so I will need to trim that straight before I use that end.
I was thinking that "settling ganache" might set up more firm than regular ganache. I have a wedding cake to do for June and the bride wants ganache on the top of the cakes and dripping down the sides. I'm not sure what the temperature is going to be at the reception hall and the cake will be sitting for around 5-6 hours so I am really concerned. Trying to find a way to get the ganache to firm up more and be less likely to melt.
I got my bubble teas straws today at a local Asian market...40 for $1.49! They seem nice and sturdy. I have never used them before but I am going to and see how they work.