Posts by zinger60

I made a bunch of isomalt diamonds to use on a wedding cake.  I have used them on one other cake but instead of being sparkly, they are clear so they don't really show up.  I read one suggestion of painting the backs of them with silver luster dust but that did not do a bit of good.  I have seen individual sparkly diamond looking things on wedding cakes but I don't know how they would get them that way using isomalt.  Is it possible that people are using individual ones...
I had an inquiry about making a Pink Champagne cake for a wedding. I have never made this before. Since I don't drink and have never tasted Champagne, how do I know what the cake is supposed to taste like? Does it taste like Champagne? Anyone suggest a good recipe for it?
I'm not sure about using the RI on the Blossom Fondant since it has buttercream frosting in it. I'm thinking that maybe the RI will break down after its piped on the cookie because of the grease. Anyone have any ideas?
I have a customer that want's a cake that is decorated in buttercream. The design looks like vertical ribbons in rows one after another all around the sides of the cake. I did a search online for ribbon cakes and came up with nothing. Another design she wants looks like cakes I have seen done where they put strips of ruffled fondant all around the sides of the cake but this one is done in buttercream. Anyone have any ideas on where to find out how to do these techniques?
I have a wedding coming up next month and the bride asked if she could have one tier of the cake blueberry and some of the cupcakes also. I have never made a blueberry layer cake before. I am concerned that it would be heavy like blueberry muffins. Does anyone have a layer cake recipe that would work well with this? I would like it to be one that uses a cake mix or an extender recipe (WASC)
I bought a soccer ball pan which is the big one that looks like half of a ball. I was wondering if I could make 2 of the cakes and put them together to make one complete soccer ball. Is that possible?
I have a three tiered caddy wampus cake to deliver next Saturday. I bought Bronwen Webers stand but I have never made and delivered one of these before. I am concerned about the cakes sliding off the stand and cutting the actual holes in the cakes. Also, with delivering, do I put it in a box or take it just like it is? The cakes are going to be fondant covered with one being a zebra print, one being Cheetah and one being Giraffe. Do I decorate all the tiers completely...
I was asked to make a 2-3 ft tall, 3D unicorn cake. The design the woman sent shows a unicorn sitting down with his neck up in the air and a butterfly sitting on his nose. I have no idea how I would do the internal support system for a cake like this. I have searched the web and can't find any details on making one like this. Anyone have any ideas?
Thank you, everyone! Is it best to go 50/50 or use less American and more Swiss?
I am wanting a less sweet buttercream and one that will crust slightly. I was wondering if anyone has tried making SMBC and mixing it with some regular American buttercream.