Posts by zinger60

I had a  request from a customer to make a carnival design cake that is like a funnel-type flavor cake and filling.  I have never heard of anything like that and when I do a search online, all I get are recipes for regular funnel cakes.  Any ideas?
Yes, I thought it was very strange for the customer to say that the cake was that way when they opened the box.  But the picture shows that the cake had to have  been taken out of the box because the plastic ware is in there.  But everything else in the picture is exactly the way we boxed it up.  So I thought that was very strange to have taken the cake out of the box and then put it back exactly like it was just to take the picture.  Can't figure out why someone would do...
Lunita13, I don't think I was reading too much into the way the cake was in the picture because I was trying to use the picture to figure out why the cake collapsed. If it was from something I did, I want to be able to correct it so this doesn't happen again. If it was caused by the customer, then I don't have to be so paranoid about having this happen again or changing the way I do my cakes after doing things the same way for 5 years.
The cake before the collapse
Also, I had put down a very thin layer of buttercream on top of the cake before I put on the sleeve filling so the filling would not soak into the cake. 
To answer the question about the cake sitting for a day and a half, yes, I finished the cake the morning before the pickup (which was 2pm the next day) and the cake was in a small room that was very cool with air conditioning on.  The woman did not ask for her money back and didn't even really complain about it.  She just said that the next time she orders a cake from us, she will have us deliver it. The picture of the cake in the box is very strange not only because it...
Yeah. that was my first thought when she sent the picture was that someone dropped the box on that one side,  I cant believe how far out the side of the cake is from where it used to be.  The dowels that are visible in the cake were underneath the top cake and the pink frosting on top of the left side of the bottom cake was actually the border around the top cake.  That shows how far out it blew out.  I'm still in shock.
As you can see, the whole bottom of the cake has been pushed out very far all the way from the front to the back on that one side.  My reason for thinking that they dropped the whole box on one side is because all the dowels in the bottom cake are still standing straight up,  It seems like if the cake collapsed, the dowels would be at an angle and also because of the huge extent of damage to it.  It also looks like someone's fingerprint on top of the top cake and on the...
How do I post the pictures?
I have made probably hundreds of tier cakes the same way over the past 5 years and never had a problem with one collapsing until now so I'm not sure if it was something I did or something the customer did after they picked it up. It was a 2-tier, 8" and 10", buttercream covered, chocolate cake bottom tier with strawberry pastry filling, vanilla top tier with vanilla buttercream filling.  The cake sat for a day and a half  at my house with no sign of any problems.  The...