Posts by sweettooth101

Wow, I was so amazed when I saw this recipe. My mum used to make this almost 50 years ago, her recipe was called oat crunchies and instead of butter she used clarified butter. When I make them, they disappear within hours.The taste is not as good if you use corn syrup. Golden syrup has a different delicious flavor. In canada golden syrup is available at No Frills.
Here's one method http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8SYhPFLYEA but I usually take some color paste on a skewer and and paint a straight line starting from nozzle going up at 3 places equal distance in the bag, then fill with the buttercream. Your flowers will have an edge of the colour you painted.HTH.
If you like the vintage look  this is a good class and if you do fondant cakes.
I  think you might have added too much icing sugar or a little too much tylose. I have found that there is such a variation in amount of egg white in each egg that I end up not using quite a bit of the measured sugar. So once you break up the egg white,  add the sugar holding back a cup or so, keep beating,  'til  fairly stiff and shiny peaks only then add the measured out tylose. Beat only for a few seconds. You will find that after adding tylose the paste suddenly...
I am so happy she liked my cake however the recipe is a trade secret.
I have used pineapple with regular buttercream but I don't mix it together. I first take pureed pineapple, add a little sugar and boil it until it thickens more like a jam consistency. Cool before use. Slice the cake, first  spread the jam and then apply buttercream  (which can be coconut flavoured).  I tried mango with SMBC mixing it together and it did look curdled but tasted good.
This is what mine looks like, haven't tried it on strawberries.
There is a gadget for it, it is shaped like a v . The one I have has a melon baller at one end and the v at the other end, it does make life easier and quicker. check it out here http://www.chefdepot.net/channelknife.htm
I used to use the wilton gumpaste but found that the humidity really effects it. The flowers go limp and lose shape. Nicholas lodge's recipe is the best for me. I think with your gumpaste it could be that it went too dry after you added the gum tex, I could be wrong.
After reading this I have to eliminate some things from my shopping list. Maybe I should just go on a liquid diet, lol. Ignorance was bliss. Everytime I have watched 'ace of cakes' I have thought that even if someone gives me a free cake from there I'm not going to eat it. Those decorators are always talking, laughing, coughing when inches away from the cake, it always grosses me out.