Posts by Krystina418

I was asked today to do a cake decorating class for a girls 14th birthday. It would be for her and 2 friends. The mother wants me to teach them how to decorate while doing the girls cake. I'm wondering if anyone has some advice on how to do this...and what to charge for it. My first thought was to show them how to do the techniques and let them decorate her cake...but then I don't really want my name on something I didn't do and if it turns out bad and they tell people...?...
I have a "Happy birthday" sign made out of royal icing that I would like to attach to my buttercream cake and I was wondering what the best way to do this is.Im worried aout the buttercream "melting" the royal icing, thats why I havent just stuck it up there. This cake is suppose to be done in 2 hours so any help would be greatly appreciated!Thanks!
If I were basing this on mileage only, I would not let it stop me from a great opportunity. I live in Oregon, where we have a lot of rain and sometimes nasty winters (nothing compared to Detroit, but still). I don't know if you have children or not, so that might be a deal breaker if you consider the "bad day" drive time. But where I live it's not uncommon for people to drive over an hour to work. I would go to the interview with a number that I wanted to have to make it...
I'm making a three tier square cake in a few weeks and they want each tier tapered and covered in fondant. I was wondering if anyone had any tips on how to do this. If it was round I wouldn't be all that worried, but being square and tapered...I'm concerned . Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!
I just have to say thanks for posting this question and for all the answers. I have learned a alot! This happened to me today with my Christmas snowman cake...he developed into a melting snowman and then eventually a big pile of cake...oops! We decided he was a victum of global warming. Thanks everyone!
I have another question for those of you who have used this...does it crust enough to use the VIVA method?Thanks
great thanks guys...I'll start making it now.
It's called the Decorator's Cream Cheese Frosting and it's in the recipe section here, but I don't know if it's okay to sit out until tomorrow afternoon or not. The recipe is1/2 cup of shortening1/2 cup unsalted butter8oz cream cheese1 tblsp vanilla2 lbs powder sugar1/2 tsp saltI am going to make this today so any anwers ASAP would be greatly appreciated.
I too lost a baby, he was stillborn at 36 weeks. I don't remember any of the food, but I do remember that people made things for us to eat at the reception. It meant so much to me that they took the time. I think what your planning on making sounds perfect.