Posts by tmelrose

Thank you for your honesty!  I too love this cake but may steer to a different direction.  Thanks!
I'm needing to make probably a 12x16 chocolate cake this weekend.  The top at least and maybe the side will be covered in fondant plus have cake toppers on it.  I've made the Hershey's Perfectly Chocolate Cake before and love it but do you think its sturdy enough for fondant and toppers?  TIA
Ok thanks. Guess I'd better stick to coloring it after I make it since I'm not sure if the gel might mess it up. Not sure where I could find the powder close around here. I'll test a small bit first after it settles before doing any modeling. Thank you again for all your help. Much appreciated!!
Is it ok to color the clay with Wilton or Americolor after its been mixed and settled for a day?
Also I'll be using candy melts if this makes a difference on painting. (to above questions)
Thanks Jennifer! Your Glock does look great! I'm wanting to sculpt a 44 magnum, which the barrel is silver and the grip is black. Would you be able to pain the barrel with silver lustre dust on modeling chocolate? Or what do you best recommend? Also on the grip would you be able to paint it with black food color/vodka or would you need to precolor the chocolate black?
Thanks, but I don't think RKT would be worth messing with in my situation. Would gumpaste dry out too fast? Use fondant? or fondant/gumpaste mixture? Anybody?
I haven't done much modeling work. I'm going to be hand sculpting a pistol for my husband's birthday cake and wasn't sure what I should use. I considered making my own fondant, buying Wilton fondant, or should I buy gumpaste? Or just add tylose powder or gumpaste to fondant? Any advise or suggestions on favorite sculpting material? I don't want something that'll dry before I get finished! Thanks in advance!
Thanks Tails.In regards to my previous comment, has anyone added the extra batter and it still turned out ok? I don't believe the recipe yields 7 cups of batter as needed for the 9x13 pan. Any response appreciated. Thanks!
icer101, what does subbing the milk for sour cream do for the recipe?