Posts by sewsugarqueen

Have some friends who are from France.  Would like to decorate a cake with fondant designs for their daughter's baptism.  However i have no clue what is the French styles done at this event.  Any help from my CC'ers would help.  I know here in North America what we show for baptisms, but would like to feature this family's traditions for the special occasion?  Sincere thanks to all.. merci a tous  ...
I think you need to dip the strawberrries in white chocolate and glue on with chocolate...strawberries are just so juicy they leave red spots all over.
Actually it was a custom in Ontario, Canada and maybe throughout Canada to have decorated dummy cakes.  This seems to have died out in the last ten years or so.  Don't know the history behind it or if it was a British influence.  We also gave out groom's cake which was slices of fruitcake ( with plenty of boozewrapped in doily and tinfoil with a ribbon.  I loved eating those slices.  Still have requests for photo cake--- often top layer  is real to cut for photo and other...
 not sure but looks like black cotton candy -- the only thing that wispy that is food and you would need to make it yourself--spun sugar-- cause no one sells it that colour-- or can you spray it with black spray--like chocolate spray for chocolate sculptures?  Just my guess from looking at photo--Or it is doll wig attached ( I have made porcelain baby dolls before)-- dyed mohair was used for fairies --but that's not food.   Good luck.. 
The frequent question..how much do I charge for a cake...  has been covered many times on cc...with custom cakes not only is it materials, hydro or gas for baking, running to get product but most of all the hours it will take to make a cake like that.  Pricing for the area comes in as well..  If you are planning to run a business research your costs and what it takes to make a profit before you get more orders.  Is this a hobby or a job?   I have made a choice to avoid...
To donate to a charity event--where you choose what you will give is always kind.  however--  This sounds like she expects/demands cakes to order for her events at low cost--are you willing to lower your prices??  There is a limit to what you can afford to donate in terms of time and materials-- as we all know the ingredients are not cheap not to mention electricity.  If you feel a one time event is coming up you would like to support then you can choose to donate.. sounds...
Sorry was away and couldn't explain.. So glad someone else did for me.  Hope it works.
Those round ball pans or the football pan or the giant cupcake pan are all PITA!  You need to put a flower nail ( metal ) in the middle to help conduct heat to center so it will cook evenly.  or if there is a small round core you can put in to help cook it.  ( I know I am not putting an accurate description to that).. That's why a lot of cakes go in an angel food type pan... because the center would never cook.     Basically these pans are shaped in such a way the...
I have frozen cream cheese frosting and that is fine--but just the cream cheese doesn't work.  So I buy on sale, make the product-- cheesecake or frosting then freeze.
You have to push the stick into the dough firm enough before baking.  I will on occasion put some dough over stick as well so when it bakes.. whole stick is covered.  Try gluing sticks with royal icing and let sit and dry really well.  Good luck.   When is Mothering Day this year?