Posts by JanJess

I have the same set of pans. Just be sure to use a heating core if you plan on filling them otherwise they won't bake properly. I just split the one layer. Good luck
I live in Florida and deal with this all the time. Here's the recipe I use: 2 + 2/3 cups shortening (Crisco), 2/3 cup water, 2 tsp. clear vanilla, 2 tsp. clear butter extract & 10 cups powdered sugar. Mix shortening with water & flavorings and 2 or 3 cups sugar. Gradually add remaining sugar adding more liquid if needed. It's not a true buttercream but it will stand in 90 degree weather and it crusts nicely and easy to work with. Most everyone is happy with the flavor. Of...
My personal opinion is that when a customer gives a photo as "inspiration", that's a jumping off point. You've done a fine job so don't beat yourself up. Let this one go and chalk it up to experience and if that customer ever calls again, maybe you're just too busy to accommodate them. Since the Internet where people can look up elaborate cakes, it has added a whole new dimension and they want exact duplicates. Cakes are personal artwork and so many don't appreciate that...
Hi Margie912, I'm in the south and make cakes. Are you thinking about something like a Humingbird Cake?  Give me some examples of what kind you specialize in. Cake is good in the South!!!     Janet
It sounds like you're going to need to go with a buttercream icing. It's not a problem to do each tier a different flavor. I've done it many times. As far as a peanut butter cake recipe, look on this site, there are many wonderful bakers and I'm sure someone will have one posted or help with that. I personally don't have that recipe or I'd be happy to share. It's one I've never had requested. I've done the rustic country weddings and if you're not sure about making the...
On this site you can type in Cake Calculator or go to Wilton.com and look for pan sizes and servings, very helpful for USA bakers. HTH!
If you have a Lowe's or Home Depot in your area, they have a section of plywood pieces from other cuts they have made and they are very cheap or they will cut a piece to size for you.
My daughter went to a small private school too and I wanted to do something similar to what you're doing. I wanted to have a home-ec class in the mornings and they would help prepare their own food but I wasn't able to get it passed from our county as we couldn't afford a commercial kitchen there.Check out this website for recipes: http://lotsofinfo.tripod.com/index.htmlCongrats on your new adventure!
Trial and error is the best teacher and I can't survive without my Kitchen Aid heavy duty mixer. It's the best tool I have.Good Luck
I totally feel your pain. I did a 4 tier cake for a friend's daughter and while I was going to stack the cakes on site, I had 3 tiers in the back of my car and my DH was helping and picked up a tier that was still sitting on the turntable. I didn't notice him do that and while I drove to the reception site, I was supposed to be a guest too, the one tier slid into the others and I had a terrible mess on my hands. I missed the ceremony and was sick sitting there having to...