Posts by lorieleann

it could also have been someone with voice-mail stage fright or changing their mind about what they wanted to ask or not having had the answers to your questions, as far as cake size, date, etc.  If they thought that the phone was ringing in an empty storefront, they probably wouldn't think twice about hanging up and trying again.  
I have had a 4.5, 5, 6 qt. KA and a 7qt Cuisinart.  I really don't like the Cuisinart performance:  it's tall and doesn't fit under my upper cabinets to lift the bowl; the bowl only has two small handles on the top, making it hard to hold with one hand and scrape out with the other; I have disengaged the bowl with just a bit of pressure doing a scrape down; same thing with the beater, i have disengaged it with a small bump; the paddle will clump dry ingredients to it...
i would be very apprehensive personally because I have seen custom bakers get ripped to shreds on Yelp when a GroupOn is sold and then, because fulfillment has to be based on custom availability, the customer can't get the product when they want.  I saw reviews for one cake maker who looks to have done a Cupcake deal and was getting reamed for not answering the phone and having to leave a message,  and for not having cupcakes ready to go, and for not even having a store...
    in my world (welcome )  there is also glaze on donuts and bundt cakes.  The icing on cookies is much thicker than what is on a donut. I'll double dip with drying between on the sugar cookies so that there is an opaque coating that isn't sticky like a donut.  and royal is icing, too.  
i guess i always thought of icing as the powder sugar and milk thin paste that is drizzled on sugar cookies. Frosting is the thicker stuff that has the fat.  But while I will use the two words interchangeably for buttercream, i do not call the thin coating frosting. that is always icing.  I do think that it is a regional thing, and that the distinction is becoming lost. 
about $585-$625. (but it would also depend on what is on the inside--a basic 2 layer WASC with a plain buttercream filling would be less than that range.  Since i'm baking scratch with more expensive ingredients I charge accordingly).  
If I have a customer and they have an aversion to the sweetness of american buttercream, I give them the option of a meringue buttercream, or ganache and thin fondant. If they only want a whipped topping, I refer them to another baker.  Bettercreme isn't on my menu and it isn't going to be! We all have our niche markets, and mine doesn't include that product. 
I love the Fat Daddio's with the ball bearings.  I have the center spike Ateco and when there is considerable weight on it, it looses speed enough not to make a full revolution without another push/pull.  The FD one will keep turning.    I have the IKEA wood one, and I don't know if I have an off one, but I get a wobble and it isn't engineered to stay level. Not that I'd expect a >$10 turntable to be able to stand up to a level, but this is not a precision tool.
i wouldn't charge less for one, and I do think that they are an interesting look.  I did one as a dessert cake as part of a cake buffet, and I think it would look cool larger as a centerpiece cake (though with smaller tier heights). WHere as you don't have the time involved in decorating with an outer coat of buttercream, you have to take that time to perfectly bake and trim those layers so that each layer is the same color and not over browned. There is nothing to hide...
I live in So. AZ and prefer to use SMBC.  I find it easier to make and I get more reliable results (perhaps b/c i have logged more hours doing it the SM way?)  For heat stability, I have subbed out 1/2 of the butter with hi ratio shortening in the SMBC.     For ABC, i usually do 1/3 hi ratio to 2/3 butter.  I like to keep cakes cold for delivery and I also request that cakes not be kept out in the heat due to melting.    i think that what kind of heat/humidity...