Posts by lorieleann

I think a concern equal to the heat is that SMBC is not a great consistency to be out in the elements. Since it retains an 'uncrusted'  surface, any little gnat or leaf (or heaven forbid a gust of dust) is going to stick to the cake.  Under fondant, it will be safe.  But I think that SMBC is way too vulnerable for outdoor elements. 
i'm in tucson and keep my AC at 78 normally, but when I am baking I plan on taking the hit and put it to 75.  Unless absolutely necessary, I try to avoid having ovens on from 11-8 when the AC would have to work the hardest.  I also keep everything in the fridge because humidity isn't an issue for us, so the dip in the temp is usually only when the cake is baking (though it is warmer b/c of the oven heat), or when I am assembling. 
I regularly transport tiered buttercream cakes.  My rules:  . chill it hard, preferably overnight  . i use at least 40% butter in ABC buttercream (up to 100% for SMBC) so that cake and frosting is firm  . I use a clean moving box at the size of the drum or transporting masonite board, usually 14-18", cut to have the front drop down like a drawbridge (see caljava international box building for a very sturdy transport box. i don't go to that extreme) . A pre-cooled SUV...
I think the issue is trying to incorporate the fruit into the ABC.  In my experience, if you want to incorporate a fruit puree or fresh fruit, a meringue based buttercream is going to work best.  I put a honey strawberry mix into my SMBC and it is heavenly.  You can put so much more flavor into a SMBC by using more of an addition.         
someone needs to do something with the website and FB page.  
if you are wishing to specialize in GF products, you need a dedicated kitchen.  If you wish to offer cakes "made with no wheat or gluten containing ingredients, but in a kitchen where gluten is present" then the people who need to have very strict gluten levels can make their own decision about your offerings.  Only a small percentage of those wishing to have 'gluten free' baked goods need to have it laboratory-level contaminate free (i.e. from airborne, etc), but there is...
 Just wanted to point out that the stripes on the cakes aren't fondant. Those vertical stripes are done in buttercream.   The fondant cakes that are in the wedding cake gallery are just about flawless. The buttercream wedding cakes are also pretty amazing with scrolls and piping that has a signature style. Perhaps the cakes that are in the case for cash and carry have a less perfect finish than the wedding cakes that start at $6 or $5 a slice, but I'm sure that those pre...
 This ^^^   I bet the original designer of that cake couldn't reproduce it exactly either.  The piping is too organic and there are too many details to get exactly the same.  And that photographer comment.  That right there would be enough to make me turn down the order. If you have the quality in your work, then you will have the customers to book at weekend--maybe not as elaborate or high ticket of an order, but something less stressful. 
 good luck with it! 
i have entitled family members who would never pay more than $0.99 for a box mix let alone for a custom cake.  I once did a joint birthday cake for two of the cousins, and charged what I thought was a nominal 'pay what you can' price of $25.  She had to call me on the way over to see how much again it was b/c they hadn't cashed their paycheck and didn't have money and could they post date a check?  I gifted it, as it was already a 80% discount, what's that extra $25?  Then...