Posts by LeeBD

Why don't you try a WASC recipe?  It's a doctored box cake mix recipe.  The original is 1 bx cake mix, 1 cp flour, 1cp sugar, 1 cp sour cream, 1 1/3 cp water, 1/8 cp veg oil, 4 egg whites, 1 tsp vanilla, 1 tsp almond extract.  There are many variations to this recipe which you can find on CC under recipes.  One other note, with the new smaller size cake mixes, it is advised to use 1bx plus 1/2 cup cake mix and cut down on the sugar to 3/4 cp.    Above recipe will make 2 8"...
Do you want to bake from scratch only or will a tweaked boxed cake mix do?
I usually bake on Wednesday for a Saturday cake.  Bake Wednesday, cut, fill and dirty ice on Thursday and finish up on Friday, and if needed Saturday morning is for touch ups and last minute details. 
Yes...you can also use flavored liquid coffee creamers.  What ever the liquid measure is, I usually do half water and half creamer, or a little less than half water and a little more than half creamer so that the creamer flavor is not so diluted.
I have poured warm ganache over a butter cream iced cakes with no problem.  The top was completely covered with the ganache with some dripping down the sides.  Just make sure you refrigerate the cake after icing before using warm ganache. HTH
Yes, you can use Crisco.  High ratio does produce a better butter cream though.  If I am using high ratio(which I always do)and the recipe doesn't specify high ratio, I will use less high ratio than the amount of shortening the recipe calls for.  Hope that makes sense.
Got any yogurt?
I use Decorator's Cream Cheese frosting.  It's a crusting cream cheese frosting that's great for decorating on.  You should be able to find it here under recipes. 
I don't want to sound like a Debbie Downer, but I don't think you are quite ready to take on a wedding cake.  Especially if you have never worked with fondant before.  Also, square cakes are a bit more difficult to cover than round.  Sorry to say but I think you may be in way over your head.
The sets come with graduating designs.  In other words the bottom tier design is usually a full stencil design, the next tier a bit less and so on.  It depends what you want your design to look like.  If you want each tier the same then you don't need a set.  You can also cover parts of the stencil if you don't want the whole design on the cake.