Posts by cai0311

For red and black and I use Fondarific precolored fondant. For everything else I use Massa Grischuna Neutral. It is the best fondant!
In my area charging to tastings is not the norm, so I don't charge for my tastings. But in 7 years I have only had 3 or 4 no shows. While each no show is annoying - less than 1 per year is not enough to change the way I do business. Here is how I do my tastings: When I have extra batter I bake it (even if it is only enought of a 5" round cake pan). I cut the cake into large bite size pieces. Then I put those pieces in a zip lock sandwich baggie. Several baggies fit...
You can pipe roses, hair, grass... Anything you want with Sharon's recipe. The fat to powdered sugar ratio determines how stiff the buttercream. Depending on what you are using it for will determine the thickness you need.There is going to be some grease factor because shortening is used, but it is by no means greasy. It is a great recipe.I buy my sweetex shortening at GFS
I use Sharon Sugar Shack's buttercream. It is a type of ABC buttercream but not on overly sweet. The number one comment I get from clients is that they like the buttercream because it isn't too sweet. You can find the recipe on CC. It also holds up great in high heat and humidity.
I make my ganache the day before I need. When I first make it I don't put it in the fridge. I allow it to cool overnight on my counter. Then I take my hand held mixer and whip the ganache until it becomes the consistancy of peanut butter. At that point it is ready to be applied to the cake. I find whipped ganache easier to work with and more forgiving when trying to get a perfectly smooth finish. Once the cake is iced with ganache I pop it in the fridge for about an...
Roses, Peonies and Daisies are easy to make out of gumpaste. I have never made a tulip out of gumpaste, so I don't know if it is difficult or not. There are cutters you can buy to speed up the flower making process. If you don't think you will ever use the cutters again, then buying the flowers might be a better option. I have never ordered from this company, but they have a huge collection of flowers to purchase: http://www.gumpasteflowerstore.com/
Oh, for the chocolate... I do not have success making any kind of ganache with Nestle chips. I buy Merkins chocolate from my local cake decorating supply store in 10 lb bags.
I have made several cakes like the one you posted (which is a beautiful cake!). I use WASC recipe as follows: 1 cake mix 1 box instant pudding (small box) 1 cup milk 1 cup flour 1 cup sugar 1 cup sour cream 1/3 cup oil 4eggs If you put all the wet ingredients in the bowl first you can mix the entire recipe at once with a hand mixer without flour/mix being left in the bottom of the bowl. Bake at 325 degrees until firm but "bouncy" to the touch. I only fill my carved...
I have made a cake like the one posted by Goreti, it was really east to do. If you need a bigger cake I would try: http://www.pinterest.com/pin/163044448979844345/ It looks hard because of the wine bottle, flowers and extra decore but the cake itself is very easy to make. It is basically a rectangle cake with rounded edges. I was suprised how easy it was to make this cake.
I once traveled 7 hours with a cake in my trunk for a friend's wedding. I just brought with me my usual supports and set up the cake onsite. I would recommed a repair kit with extra icing, piping bags, tips and spatulas. Traveling with a chilled cake is easier so try and refrigerate the cake the night before delivery.