Posts by cai0311

If the icing was too stiff there is a chance the rosettes could fall off. Was there a crumb coat on the cake before you iced the rosettes? The crumb coat helps give the rosette icing something to cling too. I operate from a licensed home in Ohio. I have 2 refrigerators. The main one in my kitchen and 1 in my basement. The one in the basement is just for cakes. But I had it before I started making cakes. I know a lot of people that have 2 refrigerators. My partents...
I have in my contract that I am the only person that can put real flowers in the cake. That way if an "oops' is made I can fix it with my repair kit. That being said, I do it all the time. I insert a staw into the cake then put the flower in the straw. That way the flower is not in contact with the cake and there is next to no cake displaced by the straw. Just cut the straws to about 1.5" - 2" in length and get started. There are two parts in your post that makes me...
I forgot all about this thread. I started it 5 years ago. I now use bubble tea straws for all my cakes. No matter the size, icing, distance for delivery... They would great!
I let my cakes settle overnight in the fridge. I wrap them with saran wrap. I would consider it a tight wrap. I pull out the plastic wrap, drap it over the cake and then press it against the cake. It isn't so tight that air can't get out. I don't think saran wrap will get that tight on a cake.
This happens to be when the cupcakes are under cooked. Even if my a minute or two. I don't pull them out of oven they pass the touch text. You need to test the cupcakes in the middle of the pan too. Those take a little longer to bake. You want the cupcakes firm but soft to the touch. Just like cake.
I know you don't have a website yet, but once you do I would recommend listing starting prices on it. That helps weed people out with a budget lower than your starting price.
I did a Mario Kart cake for a woman last week. If I remember I can upload a pic when I get home tonight. The cake was a Mario Kart theme. But Mario himself was a toy the client purchased. That is the easiest way to do character themed cakes. I have contacted a couple sports teams to get premission to use their logo/mascot and every one has given it to me. So it is possible.
I like to use: 1 Box No pudding 1 Small Box (I think 3.9 oz) pudding or jello 1 cup liquid (milk is usually the liquid but depending on the flavor it might be orange juice, pineapple juice...) 1 cup sour cream 1 cup all purpose flour 1 cup caster sugar (white sugar) 1/3 cup canola oil 4 eggs I add all the liquid, sourcream and eggs to the bowl first, then all the non liquid ingredients next. If I put the non liquid ingredients in first then there is always some that...
For champagne color I use Wilton Ivory. Just keep adding a little at a time until you get the color shade you want.
I would create the pleats out of fondant. For the icing part, I would use white chocolate ganache. Ganache holds up better to the weight of fondant than buttercream.