Posts by cai0311

I had a similar conversation with a bride yesterday. I met with a couple the first week of April for their July 1, 2011 wedding. The couple wanted cupcakes because in my area cupcakes are usually a little cheaper than cake and there is no cutting fee from the venue. Bride proceeds to tell me that her future MIL is loaded but refuses to pay anything for the wedding so they are on a tight budget. I kept my mouth shut because to me, I don't think the parents of the bride...
1. A little over 4 years.2. 1 - 2 wedding cakes/weekend...4 - 8 wedding cakes/month.3. Too many to list.4. Sugar Shack buttercream.5. Agbay6. Fondarific7. Cornstarch8. If the filling needs refrigeration, then yes. I always refrigerate my buttercream cakes though.9. Bubble Tea Straws and 2 dowels offset through the entire cake.10. I can fit a stacked 3 tier cake in the trunk of my car. If the cake is more than 3 tiers, the rest of the tiers are stacked on site.
Did you have her sign a waiver when the cake was picked up stating "once the cake is picked up it is no longer my responsibility"? Did you take pictures of the cake before pick up?If you said "yes" to any of the above questions then I would not refund the money. Especially if she never sends you pictures of the cake falling apart; how do you know she is even telling the truth?
No matter what you decide show the dad the picture of the cake before you left the shop. Maybe the kid dropped the cake but no one was home to see that happen so she blamed you and said that is what the cake looked like when she picked it up. That could explain the hour wait for the phone call. Make sure you cover your butt.
Most saved cake:http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1826873Most saved cookies:http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1743027
I took at look at your website, I think it could use a lot of work. You posted that you would like to change gears and work more on high end cakes. If that is the case, you need a high end website. That doesn't mean an expensive website. Most of the cakes on your website are sheet cakes - that doesn't exactly say "pick me for your really expensive cake order". The pictures themselves could use some help. The bakery is in the background of most of them. I think you...
I am sure she wants this because she has read (because for some reason the knot has this plastered all over their site) that a fake display cake and sheet cakes in the back is cheaper than getting a real wedding cake. Stupid, but for some reason many articles suggest this to brides as a way to save on the wedding cake. Explain to the bride why this option is not cheaper. She will be paying for the cake twice. Even if you discount the display cake and the sheet cakes she...
I have a small hand held Braun (I think that is the brand) mixer thing that attaches to a small blender...
Breathe. If someone asks for a cake tell them you are more than happy to make the cake, ask for the date of the event. If the date is before you are prepared to start selling just tell them you are already booked. If the date is after you are ready to start selling get the info. You can always just have several business cards on you so when someone asks you can reply "here is my card. Either email me or call me and we can discuss details." That way you are not put on...
Does it only happen to cakes covered in fondant? If so, try using ganache instead of buttercream. There is a thread floating around that has several youtube video links about how to make chocolate and white chocolate ganache and cover a cake with fondant using this form of icing. I only use white chocolate ganache under fondant (doesn't change the flavors any more than using buttercream). Works great in my opinion.