Posts by cai0311

I would use SPS with the longer legs (the 7" legs). I would place a piece of styrofoam between the tiers to stick the flowers in, but because of SPS the styrofoam would not be the support system. So the density of the styrofoam wouldn't matter for any support issues.
I have one cost for all cakes. As a result I make more for profit on some than others. I don't like feeling like I am being nickeled and dimed when I buy something. To me, when there is a different price for different cakes, fillings, frostings...I feel like I am being nickeled and dimed. Plus, people cant' figure out what a cake for 100 people will cost even though my simple pricing is clearly spelled out on my website - let alone they would have to take into...
When you offered to make the cake did you ask how many people they were going to invite or put a dollar amount on the total? If so, and they responded 50 but decided to change that number to 250 than I would say you should speak up. You can tackfully explain that you originally agreed to do a cake for 50 - so for the remaining 200 servings they must cover ingredient cost. If you put a dollar amount (like "I will make a cake worth $200 for you") and they picked out...
My icing use to crack all the time. Now I use Sugar Shack's recipe and I haven't had 1 crack since.As others have mentioned it was because of the fat to sugar ratio. More fat = less cracks
I have the double bladed one. I love not having to ever adjust the blades.
I am in Ohio too. Where will you be located?
Would you at any point meet with the bride? I am asking because, say the venue includes any cake up to $300 from you. You meet with the bride, go over designs, flavors... get everything settled and tell them the final price. If the price is equal to or less than $300 than the venue pays you. If the price is greater than $300 the bride pays you the rest. Either way the bride knows up front what is extra, how much extra and how to cut out the extra is she wants. Plus,...
I also use Fondarific. It is great!
Mine wasn't quite a quick but I was excited. Bride and Groom came in this past Sunday for a tasting. Went well, but they had another tasting the upcoming Wednesday and said they would let me know after that. Well, I get a call from the bride the next day (Monday) saying after they left they agreed they wanted to book with me so they cancelled their other tasting.Best part - order is $1000 (and only for 150 people!). Most expensive one yet.
Mine wasn't quite a quick but I was excited. Bride and Groom came in this past Sunday for a tasting. Went well, but they had another tasting the upcoming Wednesday and said they would let me know after that. Well, I get a call from the bride the next day (Monday) saying after they left they agreed they wanted to book with me so they cancelled their other tasting.Best part - order is $1000 (and only for 150 people!). Most expensive one yet.