Posts by cai0311

I am from the South and grew up on Red Velvet cake. To me, there is only a hint of chocolate to the taste. It is not the red chocolate cake that is served where I now live (Ohio). I am the only person I know of that makes Red Velvet without using chocolate as the base. I use a box of white chocolate pudding in every batch of Red Velvet cake I make.
I puchased my Magic Line pans from www.globalsugarart.com
In Akron, Ohio there is a restaurant named Crave and it is so good. Before you finalize the logo and name try to get the name registered. You would be surprized how many names are already taken.
I use Magic Line pans. I think they work great.
The small Wilton level is not terrible when using it on small cakes. But the large level is complete crap. I have an Agbay with the double blade and it is one of the best purchases I have ever made.
SPS stands for Single Plate Separator. It is similar to the Wilton plastic plate and rod support but better.I just use bubble tea straws. Sturdy and really, really inexpensive.
I take the total (including price, tax, shipping...) and add 10 - 20% to that and that is what I charge the bride. If there are a lot of flowers to put on the cake (which means more of my time) the mark up is 20%, otherwise just 10%.Remember to always buy a few more than you need incase something breaks. I charge the client for these extras even if I don't use them on their cake.
Gumpaste flowers last forever.
You can get a rough idea of what to charge by pricing the same type of gumpaste flower online. A lot of cake decorating sites sell premade gumpaste flowers. I buy most of mine and just upcharge about 10% to the client.
I was supplying a bride with the wedding cake and groom's cake for her wedding. That week my husband had to go to the hospital for meningitis so my schedule was thrown off for cakes. The wedding cake came out fine, but the 6" groom's cake was causing me all sorts of fits. I tried to get a hold of the bride to explain the situation but she never got back to me. So I delivered the wedding cake with no groom's cake and immediately sent a refund check in the mail.This is...