Posts by cai0311

I don't think you are charging enough for the delivery fee. I charge $1.75/mile round trip with a minimum of $30. I don't care if I only have to carry the cake to my back yard, there is a $30 fee. The fee helps pay for my time. The farther I have to drive, the less time I am at home doing something either for the business or my husband. If I have to deliver a cake 1 hour away (common for me) I spend about 2.5-3 hours away from my home. During that time I could making...
The bride isn't booking her wedding cake and cupcakes, she is booking a spot on your calendar and you happen to be making a wedding cake and cupcakes for her. I don't understand how a bride can't know her date when it is only one month from the the wedding. I personally wouldn't feel comfortable with this either. I think you made the right call.Also, I have never heard of this before. I have had brides call saying "we are getting married sometime next year and are...
Put a little water or vanilla or vodka (I use vodka) on the back of the fondant to make it sticky. The flowers will not fall off then.
That is one of the main reasons I do not like or use SPS. I use bubble tea straws for all my cakes, you will be fine.
I work full time too, which is why I bake a week in advance. Cakes are not the only thing in life that can cause a schedule to be thrown off - which is why I personally like all my orders completely finished Friday night.About 3 weeks ago I had a wedding I had to supply 21 dozen cupcakes. I finished all the cupcakes but 3 dozen (each recipe makes 3 dozen so I only had to make 1 cupcake recipe and bake them, I had the frosting already made) and was so tired I decided to go...
I am confused.A cake baked on Thursday will be plenty fresh or a Saturday wedding. Freezing the cake won't keep it any fresher.I freeze all my cakes, but I bake them the weekend before they are needed. The size of the tier will determine how long it takes to defost. A 6" cake will defrost faster than a 16" cake. I would say from my experience I can start working on all the tiers within 1.5hrs from taking them out of the freezer. Now, the larger tiers may still be a...
I store all my cakes in the fridge. I like the buttercream really firm during the delivery process. I have a second fridge in my basement that is tall enough to fit a stacked 5 tier cake and wide enough to fit 2 of my smallest 4 tier stacked cakes (12", 10", 8", 6" sitting on a 14" drum board). Before the second fridge I stored my cakes in the fridge in my kitchen (I work from a licensed home bakery). I learned not to cook things for dinner that would have left overs...
You only charge tax on your delivery fee and rental fees. The tax percentage is based off the drop off location, not the starting point. I live in Kent, Ohio (Portage County). So when I deliver a cake in Stow, Ohio (Summit County) I chage the needed percentage for Summit County. Same when I deliver a cake to Cleveland (Cuyahoga County), Canton... If you don't charge a delivery fee, you don't have to worry about it. Now, you will have to pay income tax on your sales on...
I use cake drums. Sturdy, cheap, disposable and they look nice. I get them from Global Sugar Art.
I do not like the taste, smell or texture of Satin Ice.I use fondarific fondant in the buttercream flavor. It is great. I get it from Global Sugar Art.