Posts by cai0311

Does it only happen to cakes covered in fondant? If so, try using ganache instead of buttercream. There is a thread floating around that has several youtube video links about how to make chocolate and white chocolate ganache and cover a cake with fondant using this form of icing. I only use white chocolate ganache under fondant (doesn't change the flavors any more than using buttercream). Works great in my opinion.
No picture posted.
If figuring out how much 1 dozen cupcakes cost you is to difficult/confusing I don't think running a business is a good idea.
All my cakes are 4" high, so all my servings are based off the wedding serving guide. It became too difficult to worry about both charts and I don't like the look of 2" tall cake so I don't make them.As a side note, the party serving guide is not a larger serving of cake. The size of the a party serving is 2" x 2" x 2" or 8 square inches of cake. the size of the wedding serving is 1" x 2" x 4" or 8 square inches of cake. Same amount of cake just proportioned...
I purchase Fondarific. I absolutely love the taste and texture. The biggest benefit to me is no mess to make it. It keeps for a year.
I can't find the mold on Jennifer's website. Can you post the exact page you found it on?
I can't find the mold on Jennifer's website. Can you post the exact page you found it on?
In the vidoes posted the woman says she makes the ganaches, puts it in the fridge overnight and then lets it come to room temp the next day. This can take several hours. Once the ganache has come to room temp she microwaves it for 30 seconds at a time, stirring in between, checking for the right consistancy (should be like peanut butter). The smaller the amount of ganache the less you should nuke because it will melt faster.
You can spray the cake with a little bit of water, but fondant is usally good about sticking to buttercream on it own.I use white chocolate ganache under fondant. I "paint" the ganache after it has hardened with water.
Not to hijack the thread, but...tokazodo,I have had several brides that needed a cake to feed 20 but didn't want an 8" round cake for their wedding cake. I offered to do a three tier cake with the bottom and top tier made from styrfoam. They were so excited because no one else had offered this.My usual price for buttercream is $3/serving and fondant is $3.50/serving. I knock off $1/serving for faux tiers. I know the time to decorate is the same, but I don't have to mix...