Posts by cai0311

There is no way to tell what kind of buttercream she used. But any kind of buttercream will have that same look if you ice it with a rounded curve at the top. It looks like the cake was iced with white icing and then the cake was airbrushed. The color doesn't seem to be evenly done - like it would be if the icing itself was colored.
I put my cakes in the fridge because a lot of them have fillings that require this.
The best way to figure out pricing is to figure out your expenses. There are hundreds of threads on this site about pricing. Everyone does it a little different, but knowing you cost is essential when pricing cakes.
You have to have something between the cake and fondant for two reasons: 1. The fondant takes the shape of what is under it. So all the lumps and bumps on the cake will show. 2. The fondant needs something to "stick" too and cake isn't going to work. I ice my fondant covered cakes with white chocolate ganache, but buttercream will work too. After I fill my cakes I let them settle overnight in the fridge. Then I ice and cover the next day. I don't put anything on top...
The cakes look like they were airbrushed green and blue. It doesn't look like the icing was colored before applied to the cake.
Since your friend replied that she isn't using fondant, then my guess would be buttercream. Looks like she just rounded the edges. You can do that with viva paper towels.
When making your template remember that pi is equally divisible by all diameters. So you can make I template to use all tiers no matter the size and the swags will line up around the cake perfectly.
Bake on Wednesday Fill on Thursday Ice and decorate Friday Deliver Saturday Depending on the types of filling and decorations they might be made the day I need them or a week before. Each cake is different. I buy my fondant. The 4 tier wedding cake and kitchen cake I delivered yesterday took me about 15 hours from start to finish. I did one in May that took me about 50 hours to complete. Again, each cake is different. Just make sure you are charging accordingly.
I quit using buttercream under fondant, but when I did I used a full layer of buttercream. Now, I use white chocolate ganache. It holds up to the weight of fondant and doesn't slosh around.
The price you quote is the price the customer pays. You now know for the next time someone orders sugar bottles what to charge to compensate for your time.