Posts by cai0311

What do you ice your fondant cakes with?
I don't do either. I bake my cakes at 325 degrees. Bake flat everytime.
The cake is cute. Smooth and nice color scheme. For the board, I like to use cake drums. I buy them from Global Sugar Art. They add a professional look without any added work (like covering the board with fondant). Plus on larger size cakes, they are required to hold up to the weight of the cake. Sometimes what a customer wants just isn't doable in the cake world. Every once in a while I get a bride that asks if her wedding cake can be made from whipped icing. Nope....
Typically the free donation route does not drum up business. You need to figure out who you want to be your clients and target them. I want to do wedding cakes. Mostly because that seems to be where the $$ is (at least in my area) and I love the look of wedding cakes. I enjoy decorating them. I have several free listings on wedding websites and I pay to have a listing on The Knot. I know several people on CC have not had success on The Knot but I probably get 50% of...
I use Cake Boss software. I love it! It is easy to use and keeps track of everything for me. It is also great when tax time rolls around. I just print out my report and take it to the account. Everything is all there.
Your title asks about constructing the cake...do you meant what support should you use? I use bubble tea straws in each tier and 2 wooden dowels hammered all the way through the cake.
What are your costs for the cake? How long will it take you to make? How much do you want to make per hour? Costs are not just flour, sugar, eggss... Don't forget: All ingredients (even if you already have the flour - it costs x amount per cup to replace) Gas to drive to purchase ingredients/supplies Cardboard cake board Cake drum Tools Water for the dishes Electric/Gas for the oven Soap for the dishes Saran wrap Cake box Insurance (car and business) Yearly license...
I have stopped using buttercream on my fondant covered cakes for that reason. I now use white chocolate ganache. The ganache holds up to the weight of fondant really well. Also, your fondant should be rolled really, really thin. I like mine to be about 1/16" of an inch. Once rolled that thin you can almost see though it.
 Do you have set recipes yet? If you do, then you can calculate your cost.You might want to look into purchasing Cake Boss Software (not associated with the show). I use the software for pricing, invoicing and scheduling. The program makes it really easy to figure out exactly what each recipe costs you.
What are your costs for the cake? How long will it take you to make? How much do you want to make per hour? Costs are not just flour, sugar, eggss... Don't forget: All ingredients (even if you already have the flour - it costs x amount per cup to replace) Gas to drive to purchase ingredients/supplies Cardboard cake board Cake drum Tools Water for the dishes Electric/Gas for the oven Soap for the dishes Saran wrap Cake box Insurance (car and business) Yearly license...