Posts by cai0311

Can you put a decoration over it?
Can you post a link to Edna's tutorial?
The 6" and 8" cake will serve 36 according to Wilton. The 6" gluten free cake will serve 12 according to Wilton. The 9 x 2 will serve 25 according to Wilton. That is a total of 73 servings. Assuming the Wilton standard is being followed (1" x 2" x 4" - or 5" with your one tier) then the 9" x 2" cake should be cut in 2" x 2" x 2" servings. That way everyone has 8 square inches of cake. My only comment on this is that people will be able to tell who has the "wedding...
 Wait, your MIL's friend's boss hated the cake and your MIL called to tell you? So you never heard it from the boss? I wouldn't sweat it until you hear from the customer.I would also never make a cake for your MIL, her friends (any of them) or the boss again. Your MIL sounds like a B!
I have a minimum order $. I don't care if the person wants a cupcake if they are willing to pay I am willing to make it. Just make sure your minimum amount covers your time. It takes me just as long to mix, bake, clean up, make filling, make icing, fill and ice a 6" as it does a 10" (okay, baking a 10" takes 20 minutes longer - close enought). So I want that 6" cake to pay as well as a 10" cake because my time invested is the same for the basic work (decorations aside).
I use bubble tea straws on all my cakes - so the Wilton pillars will be more than enough.
I am a bit confused... Are you saying that cakes 1 and 2 (the two largest), and 4 and 5 (the two smallest cakes) will be displayed as shown in the link. But cake 3 (the middle cake in the display) will be a three tier cake? If that is the case then I would tell the bride she has to have the 3 tier cake sitting on the stand and I will use my normal supports (it sounded like you might be trying to insert the stand into the cake from your post). Knocking the cake over is...
I just tell people my fondant covered cakes are iced in ganache. It is a statement, but a question a pose to see if that okay. I like white chocolate because like buttercream, it goes with everything. The flavor of it is not overpowering. My recipe is 3 parts white chocolate (a good quality chocolate) to 1 parts cream. Make sure to go by weight. I let it sit overnight to firm up and then whip it to death with my hand mixer so it is super creamy. It doesn't get any...
Instead of buttercream I ice my fondant covered cake with white chocolate ganache. The ganache allows me to get either really sharp edges or rounded edges depending on how the cake is iced. Maybe try a different type of icing.
I would suggest researcing strawberry syrup recipes. You cook down strawberries and strawberry juice (along with a few other ingredients) to a thick syrup consistancey. Then add the syrup to your buttercream. I would make sure the buttercream is very thick to start out so it doesn't become to watery for a filling. The buttercream dam should be regular buttercream. That will help hold in the filling it that buttercream is watery/soft. I don't think you will be able to...