Posts by cai0311

The icing doesn't have to crust to be used under fondant, but it does have to harden in the fridge. Otherwise the cake will be a lumpy mess and all the buttercream will ooze out the bottom when you are trying to cover it. I quit using buttercream under fondant. Instead I use white chocolate ganache. Ganache holds up so much better to the weight of fondant than buttercream.
 I agree that the website is not design friendly. It is difficult to read and navigate.I operate a home bakery in Ohio. I decided I wanted to focus on wedding cakes because in my area that is where the money is. I have a free listing on wedding wire (IMO wedding wire offers the best free listing options) and a paid listing on The Knot. I get about 50% of my brides from The Knot (the listing more than pays for itself) and the rest come from either wedding wire or...
I bake from home (legal). It is not common in my area to charge for tastings, so I do not charge my brides for a tasting. I use whatever samples I have on hand. They do not get to pick what they try. This keeps my costs down which allows me to offer free tastings. I usually have on hand 4 - 5 cake flavors, 5 - 6 fillings and my buttercream.
Ganache cannot be rolled out. It has a consistancy of peanut butter - and just as sticky. If you want to put white circles on the cake the circles need to be fondant.
My cupcake stand is a custom 5 tier stand made from wood - that is the only cupcake stand I would trust to hold up a 3 tier cake. Most online are made from cardboard, which won't cut it. The cake would be too heavy. I have made several 2 tier cakes for the top of the stand, never a 3 tier. The top tier is usually just to cut for pictures so I haven't had a need to make a 3 tier cake when I have a cupcake order. Now, that being said, I would do it if I used my stand. ...
People don't understand that when they purchase a custom decorated cake the labor cost is more than the ingredient cost. They think "I can buy the ingredients for cheaper that the $200 required to buy the cake so my cake will be cheaper". Not even close to how it works. There was a recent forum on here about a lady that had someone offer the same thing. Next words out of the client's mouth was "but I don't have to buy the flour and sugar because you already have...
I would call the venue/caterer to find out what really happened. It sounds to me like a case of greediness on behalf of the MOB. Now, I do not agree with the thought that cake at a wedding needs to be returned for a refund. The client is not cutting the cake so by the time they realize there is a problem, the cake is probably already cut and served. Plus, what is a wedding without a dessert. Even if I realized the cake was bad, I don't think I would have stopped my...
 I agree with this post. The cake should be placed on the floor of the car or trunk. It must be level at all times.
 It is a lace mold. You can get it from Global Sugar Art.
Fondarific has a great tasting black fondant.